Prime lens for Canon 70D

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

I've read through tons of reviews of various prime lenses for Canon 70D, but still can't make my mind up which one to choose.

I would really appreciate your advice.

I'd like to be able to use the lens for portraits, cityscapes, christmas markets with all the lights on, night shots. Basically, I am trying to find a sort of universal prime lens to shoot portraits and walk around the city (e.g. London).

I would also like the lens to super sharp. I currently only have a kit 18-135 one and I dont like the softness it gives. I realized I like my images razor sharp.

My budget is around £500-£600.

I am torn between Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM and 85mm f/1.8. But do I understand correct that on my crop sensor they become more like 50 mm and 135mm respectively?

I understand 85mm will give me nicer bokeh, but how realistic is it to shoot portraits with it in busy city environments?

Also, I'd like to know if 35mm f/1.4 really gives SO MUCH better images as compared to 35mm f/2 to justify its high price?

I am an amateur, but I like taking things seriously. I am also thinking about potentially buying a full frame like Canon 5D Mark III or IV (when it's released).

Many thanks in advance!

Sorry, I didn't put all these links inside my message. It seems to have happened automatically.

Do you need 1.8's? If i were you i'd look into the 24mm stm and the 40mm stm. Both f2.8's but both pancake lenses and VERY affordable. From what i have seen they produce really nice IQ and make for a super portable kit.

The 24mm will give you the fov of a 38mm and the 40 will be 64mm.

That would leave you enough change to add the Canon 85 aswell.

Just a thought as 35mm might not be wide enough for city scapes etc.

Both great lenses, there's also the canon 50mm f1.4
The problem is, is the 35 wide enough on a crop sensor for cityscapes or as a walk around lens?
I know you are wanting a prime, but are you actually looking for a replace to your 18-135?
Have you thought about a canon 17-55mm f2.8, or the sigma tamron equivalents, would that better fit your requirements or there's the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 art lens which is abit different.

I am not really looking for a replace to my kit lens just yet... I just want the sharpness, contrast and colours of a prime lens oh and an ability to shoot in low light... like night shots, x-mas time around the city... etc...as well as portraits... of kids, for example (so fast autofocusing would be a bonus too).

I have never used any brands apart from Canon.... so comments on their sharpness would be appreciated.

Minnnt, thanks. I will have a look at the lenses you suggested. Can you comment on their sharpness? That's really important for me.

I sort of discounted 50mm f/1.4 because of its controversial reviews in the forums.

Most primes are sharp, especially when stopped down a tad.

24mm gallery on Flickr

40mm gallery on Flickr

85mm f1.8 gallery on Flickr

Can't comment personally on Canon as i'm a Nikon shooter, but have looked into the Canon system a bit and at the above groups for the respective lenses. The 24 is pretty new and is a crop lens, but the 40mm and 85mm have been out a while and can be picked up second hand at good prices. Sharpness is obviously a very personal preference and differs from people to people. Alot of it is down to good technique aswell.

Hope that helps.
David.

David, I decided not to invest into crop lenses as I am going to buy a full frame camera in a year or two.

Last edited:
Have just checked 24mm 2.8 IS USM full-frame, about the same price with 35mm f/2. How is 24 2.8 in terms of portraits? Any idea? Will it distort face features?

'in a year or two'

Don't let a probable upgrade force you into lenses that aren't suitable for your needs now with the body you currently use. Obviously you buy what you want but 35mm will be roughly 56mm on crop which won't be much kop for cityscapes unless you're a fair distance away.

I must have not expressed myself correctly, I will definitely go for a full frame camera.. I am atually waiting for a new Canon 5D Mark IV to be released. So, I dont see much point in buying expensive lenses now that I wont be able to use when I buy a full frame camera. I'll read more about 24mm f/2.8 for full-frame, thanks for pointing me in this direction. My only concern is whether it's going to be of any use for portraits.

I dont have much experience with prime lenses.... that's why I am asking for advice here AdamTudor... I am looking for one (maybe two) primes within my budget that I would be able to use in low light, for cityscapes and time to time for portraits (I am not a pro, it's mainly for taking portraits during family gatherings).

Where did you buy them second-hand from AdamTudor? Where's a reliable place? Thanks

I use a 35 and 85 on crop and find it a good combo. Your original suggestion would have been ideal if there wasn't a need for your city scape element. I guess you still could use the 35 and stitch two shots or maybe stick with a kit lens for that part of your requirement?

As I have a travel site, I do take a lot of pictures of sights, cities, landscapes, markets...anything that would be interesting for tourists to see. So, I think your suggestion of 24mm would probably suit this purpose better. What do u think? I also like taking portraits...for my own pleasure and I love taking pictures of my family....as well as pictures of food and wine (another passion)... hence 85mm....

I actually think your suggestion of 24mm 2.8 probably makes more sense in my case.

Will I be fine for taing pictures of cities but without a panorama element with 35mm? Just as a walk-around lens?

Last edited:
After a quick search the 24mm looks to be new for about £450 on grey imports

On the 70d the 24mm might not be wide enough for your landscapes but that completely depends on you and how wide you want it. Obviously both lenses would be better on the 5d3 or 4,5,6,7 or whichever you buy ;)

Not sure how it might affect prices but it's "black friday" next week that it seems more and more retailers are starting to join in on, not sure who will do it but amazon should and could possibly get better prices then

Ahhh, it's pricey, that's for sure.

The 24mm usm will become a wide(ish) angle on FF but will still be pretty wide on your 70d so should be good for your needs.

Do you need AF for your cityscapes? Maybe a wider manual focus lens from Samyang could be an option? They're pretty good from what I've seen.

The 85 will be all you need and more for portraiture. BUT you will be a fair few feet away from your subject so bare that in mind. It has little distortion and gives a true picture of your subject.

If it was me I'd go with the STM version. Can be had for under £200 brand new and I bet you wouldn't lose a deal on it when you come to sell in a year or so. Would make for a very light and portable combo with the 70d. :D add an 85 for another 200quid and you have ANOTHER 200quid to visit some other cities. ;)

Or could pick up a 50mm 1.8 for 50-70 as an in between prime for closer portraits and still go visit more cities

At least then you will have 3 primes for added flexibility and still get a trip away. And like David said, just sell the stm version of the 24mm for only a small loss and buy an appropriate wide angle with your full frame camera

I sort of discounted 50mm f/1.4 because of its controversial reviews in the forums.

:thinking: The 50mm f1.4 a great lens, much better than the f1.8 which you have to stop down to get the best performance from. I think you doing the right thing and buying a couple of prime lenses to meet your needs, as for secondhand dealers, try mpb photographic, ffordes, mifsuds, camtech or the forsale forums on here.

Still think that the 24mm lens won't be wide enough for your cityscapes because of the crop

Thanks Pete. Will 24mm be wide enough to just use as a walk-around the cities lens you think? Too shoot streets, buildings, sights etc.
Thanks, I'll check the shops you mentioned.

Canon 50mm 1.4 has quite a bit of controversial reviews from professional photographers who use it day in day out I dont know... I dont have a real need or urgency for buying it right now. I think I'd rather stick with something mmore universally approved.

Last edited:
Set your current kit lens to 24mm and go out and see if it's wide enough for you. At least you will see if it's right for your 70d.. Obviously will be wider when you eventually go full frame though when you lose the 1.6x crop factor

Last edited:
Thanks Adam, I plan to do so as soon as it stops raining :)

The more I read about these lenses, the more frustrated I get. I sort of made up my mind on 85 1.8 as the second option (on top of 24 or 35) but now I read a lot of users complaint about very strong cromatic abberation with this lens, up to 2.8.... can anyone comment about their personal experience with this lens? As I planned t shoot x-mas markets and lights at night, I dont want every light I shoot have a purple fringing. Or is it just nitpicking?

Back