Print file size help please

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Photobox sent an offer out for some big reductions on poster prints, which ends today. I have often wondered what a print would look like really large. so I thught it was worth a test image.
In photoshop I changed the image size to the poster size which is 45 x 30 then saved. The file size is know 21mb. I tried to upload this but it says only upto 10mb size can be used.

How can I reduce the file size or am I going about this the wrong way. The only reason I changed the image size was to make sure the image was those dimensions so what I uploaded was what I actually got in the print eg. no cropping or white borders.

Gaz

I sent it as it was. It arrived today. Looks really good too. Guess I know what to do next time.

Gaz

Last edited:
The file size is simply referring to the total MB size of the image and not the printed image size. The only way to reduce the file size while keeping the print dimensions is to use JPEG compression when saving or resample so the output resolution is lower, eg 240 instead of 300dpi.

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. I am now of the opinion that it is best practice to send the file as it is after I have done my edits and let the printing people do there thing. After all it is there area of expertise ;-)

Thanks again.

Gaz

No need to move the ppi at all - As you say send the pixels you have and let thjem do the rest.

For info dpi is not in your control - that is the setting of the printer laying the dots. Pixels Per Inch is what you can control. You can easily work out the ppi you need for any image by dividing the number of pixels (along one edge) by the size you need

eg if you have 3000 x 2400 pixels and you want a 30" x 24" print = 3000/30 and 2400/24 = 100ppi

Thanks JIm.

Like I say it still confuses me so best leave it to whom I send the print too.

Gaz

Exactly the way to do it. Let them do any resampling they think is needed.

Back