Review Pro Nikon D750 Review + 35mm 1.8G Lens

Hi Ross. I'm new here but saw your review that someone linked to on Fred Miranda.

Very well structured review that demonstrated it's performance in typical situations that you find yourself in in your profession.

After selling my mint low shutter count D700 a few weeks ago to get a D810 I'm now thinking D750 and a D610 for not much more instead. I had a D600 for a short time and was extremely pleased with the output from the sensor, the focusing was inconsistent so I can only imagine the D750 being better.

I also enjoyed the way you handled the idiot on DPR with your link to Psychological Projection.......

Respect.

Kevin.

I wouldn't choose a new D610 over a new D750, but a second hand D610 would be an option to look at. It's a very capable camera and you'll see them going for nearly half the price of a new D750.

From the photos it looks the same place as the D7000 and I couldn't use that.

EDIT: Looking on Camera Size website it does look like there is more room.

I got the impression that the eye cup sticks out a bit more - leaving more room for my thumb to miss my eye. Could be mistaken though.

I'd say the 750 edges it - certainly for control of colour.

Impressive. Mine is here.

Overall I do prefer the handling of the 810 - just a bit more room to work (don't have huge hands either) but you could happily use a pair of 750's. Anyone holding onto a D700 needs to look long and hard at this one.

The 750 is so far ahead of the Df in terms of handling and AF that it's looking like a real winner there as well.

The 39 point one.

Poor in anything other than the central points. D810 hands its arse to it on a plate. Gorgeous files from the Df - but too many missed shots = over-shooting like I did with the old 5D.

2 weddings with the 810's and I've shot around 30% less, with the same number of keepers. Telling no?

Though the lack of rear AF button is a sore point. The more I see of this camera it makes me very tempted to buy one to use with my d800e.
Think I will wait 6-12 months though ,as an amateur and with nikons recent track record for holding value I can't afford to buy a new camera for it to be replaced or just worth half of what I payed within a year or so.

The 39 point one.

Poor in anything other than the central points. D810 hands its arse to it on a plate. Gorgeous files from the Df - but too many missed shots = over-shooting like I did with the old 5D.

2 weddings with the 810's and I've shot around 30% less, with the same number of keepers. Telling no?

Disappointing to hear to be honest now I've committed to a pair of DFs. :(

Although I guess if I don't try a D800 or something else, I'll not know what I'm missing! :LOL:

Great review of the 750 on your site Ross. Excellent work indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointing to hear to be honest now I've committed to a pair of DFs. :(

Although I guess if I don't try a D800 or something else, I'll not know what I'm missing! :LOL:

Great review of the 750 on your site Ross. Excellent work indeed.

I still shot the whole year on them pretty much. 39 weddings in all. And of course the 750 and 810 didn't exist when we talked!

Again, not what you want to hear but i sent a DF back because the AF was shocking

:banghead: To be honest, I don't find it shocking, but then I didn't come from a D3s like yourself, Gary.

I still shot the whole year on them pretty much. 39 weddings in all. And of course the 750 and 810 didn't exist when we talked!

True. Well I can't be swapping now so I will have to make the most of it! I do enjoy using them for their form factor though which, for me, is a big benefit.

:banghead: To be honest, I don't find it shocking, but then I didn't come from a D3s like yourself, Gary.

True. Well I can't be swapping now so I will have to make the most of it! I do enjoy using them for their form factor though which, for me, is a big benefit.
Wasnt even comparing it to the D3S, both cameras used for totally different things, the DF just wouldnt AF in any sort of low light, i did love the look and feel of it though and the files were to die for.

Ross, be 100% honest, how is the build quality compared to a D600/D800, does it match one or the other or does it lie somewhere inbetween.

For those concerned w/ BBF... Most new Nikons can have AF-on assigned to one of the front buttons instead (FBF?). Someone would have to confirm that it's an option on the D750 but I will be surprised if it's not.

Ross, I noticed you were using 12bit compressed... What's the buffer/download like using 14bit? In 12bit you loose some highlight data and 2 bits of data per pixel (not that you necessarily need it).

Wasnt even comparing it to the D3S, both cameras used for totally different things, the DF just wouldnt AF in any sort of low light, i did love the look and feel of it though and the files were to die for.

Ah thanks for clarifying Gary. Well, as I say, have to use them now as I've spent a lot of money to get them and can't move on yet. Unless it really becomes a problem that is. As you say, the body and images from it are superb.

Ross, be 100% honest, how is the build quality compared to a D600/D800, does it match one or the other or does it lie somewhere inbetween.
You can feel/see a build "quality" difference between a D600 and a D800? Other than minor subjective things like smaller/lighter or plastic vs rubber in an area; I've never been able to discern "build quality" until it's been well used and abused.

You can feel/see a build "quality" difference between a D600 and a D800? Other than minor subjective things like smaller/lighter or plastic vs rubber in an area; I've never been able to discern "build quality" until it's been well used and abused.
Of course you can feel the difference...... see Guys comment above.

I would suggest that the build quality on my D750 is equal to that of my D810. They are both very robust, that said I wouldn't be picking the D750 up with the pop-up flash or LCD screen !

The rubber and body of the D750 defo feels closer to the D800 than the D610. It actually feels heavier than the D610 despite being lighter, maybe because it's marginally smaller.

The D610 shares AF with the Df. It's great if 1) you shoot mostly in daylight or 2) you tend to focus recompose using the centre focus spot. It loses it's way a bit in tough lighting conditions but isn't totally unusable. I'd worry about using two Dfs or two d610s together - although Fer Juaristi is happy to shoot two Dfs weddings.

I use the D610 a lot while shooting weddings but it gets used very little for action after sundown when I generally just use the D4. That being said though, it's coped well in some darkish churches. It's the most insanely stupid thing that Nikon coupled such an amazing low light sensor from the D4 with such s***ty low light AF for the Df...

Reactions: ST4
Ross, you using a BCR for editing or are you a musician too? I've loads of midi gear/controllers that I've always thought about programming for LR.

How many of you use BBF? Just curious. Am I in the minority using the old shutter button half press still?

Great review btw, if I was getting more work I would definitely consider it as a 2nd body.

Last edited:
How many of you use BBF? Just curious. Am I in the minority using the old shutter button half press still?

Great review btw, if I was getting more work I would definitely consider it as a 2nd body.

I use bbf and am a left eye shooter. D700 was better for it but it's fine for me on the d600 too.

I know I've tried it in the past but just couldn't get on with it. I'm a right-eyed shooter. So plenty of room for it, I just keep slipping back to the habit of trying to focus using the shutter button.

Of course you can feel the difference...... see Guys comment above.
"Heft" and "feel lightweight" really doesn't mean anything... it's just subjective. For example, if you compare an OEM magnesium grip to a decent 3rd party ABS one they look/feel very much the same. And with the move towards advanced materials (i.e. CF reinforced polymers) it wouldn't surprise me for cameras to be lighter AND more durable/better built.

I know I've tried it in the past but just couldn't get on with it. I'm a right-eyed shooter. So plenty of room for it, I just keep slipping back to the habit of trying to focus using the shutter button.
If you don't like it, don't use it.... you're not missing much.
There's really not a lot of benefit to BBF... there's nothing it does that can't be achieved easily another way. It's main advantage is in preventing the AF function from being interrupted when shooting fast action.

I have AF enabled on both because I use a remote release a lot. (w/ Nikons a wired release will not function unless AF is enabled on the shutter button)

Last edited:
"Heft" and "feel lightweight" really doesn't mean anything... it's just subjective. For example, if you compare an OEM magnesium grip to a decent 3rd party ABS one they look/feel very much the same. And with the move towards advanced materials (i.e. CF reinforced polymers) it wouldn't surprise me for cameras to be lighter AND more durable/better built.
Its not subjective when comparing one model directly with another, its fact, just as others are also testifying. What is subjective is when different people compare the same thing.

I would consider "weight" a rather subjective measure of "build quality"...

I asked a REALLY SIMPLE QUESTION here you know, do people who have the D750 find the build quality closer to the D600 or D800.

I have the answer to my question now from some D750 owners in Guy, Nick and Deci but thanks all the same for contribution.

seriously...weight and size is the only thing people are arguing over this camera really???

if you think its too small or too light, buy a battery grip. if it is still too light tape some lead plates to the damn thing. if you think its still too small with battery grip well maybe you are the problem then...

any how I would like to see some user feedback say a few thousand shots into the camera see if there are any nagging issues like the D600 suffered ;)

Last edited:
seriously...weight and size is the only thing people are arguing over this camera really???
if you think its too small or too light, buy a battery grip. if it is still too light tape some lead plates to the damn thing. if you think its still too small with battery grip well maybe you are the problem then...

any how I would like to see some user feedback say a few thousand shots into the camera see if there are any nagging issues like the D600 suffered ;)
Whose arguing, let me at em.......................

Haha...OK "debating"...still surely this camera can't be such a complete package that the only thing left talking about is the size and weight of it...

Back