Problem with Sony DSC-W130

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

First post here. Pretty desperate for some help.

My girlfriend and I both have entry level DSLRs (Nikon D40x and Canon 300D), but for general nights out etc. we've got compacts (mine is a Olympus SP-320, hers a Sony DSC-W130).

The Sony was only a couple of months old when we went punting and got caught out in a thunderstorm so the camera got very wet and stopped working. When I got home I opened it up to see whether it just needed to dry out. However, it was pretty much all coated in various oxidation (green/white crusty stuff everywhere), so I wasn't hopeful. I let it dry out, but it still didn't work. The only thing that looked alright was the housing, the lens, and the top little circuit board (which has the On and shutter buttons on it).

By miracle I managed to find a W130 on ebay which had a broken lens. So I got it, and today took it apart, and fit the flooded camera's lens to it. The only problem I had was that the little brown clips which clamp the flat cable connections (2 of them going to the lens) had broken, so I pushed them in fairly tight and put a bit of epoxy to keep it from coming out.

Upon reassembly I wasn't too hopeful but tried anyway. I put a battery with a little bit of charge in, and powered on. Wahey! The lens came out as expected, but then went right back in.

I then got an Error saying E:62:20 with "Turn power off and on again". So I did that again, this time the lens comes out quickly, comes back in, comes back out, focuses in and out and then goes back into the camera and stays in there.

The lens moves without any faults and during it's dance it's clear that all of its motors are working fine as it moves zoom-wise and focus-wise.

However, it refuses to work, staying in after its little ritual with that error displayed. I have tried going into settings => initialize. I have also tried doing the sony 15 second power button reset (but it gives no confirmation) but to no avail! Each time it is reset or battery taken out the first power on it just goes out slowly (standard speed) and back in. Subsequent power on makes it do the little dance.

I'm really frustrated (well actually my girlfriend is really frustrated). Is there anything anybody could suggest here to try and fix it? I am somewhat unhopeful if I decide to send Sony this camera + the other one in bits, and ask for them to return a working one lol

I really hope somebody here can help.

Thanks everybody

Pavel

I have had that error message on a similar Sony camera and it's pretty fatal.

I'm sorry to say your best bet is to give up and get a new one !

Back