Product Shots

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I don't get chance to do much commercial product photography these days, so it's always nice when something drops in unexpectedly.

Click for full res, and then click again to zoom.

One Bowens Gemini 500 head, bounced off a 4m square white flat suspended from ceiling for shot 1, and on opposite wall (20past position) for 2 and 3. White reflector either side of set. One Bowens Gemini with 1metre softbox directly behind camera for contrast control (fill) at a 1:4 ratio... except shot2, which caused too many reflections, so a large white reflector was used.

Not retouched yet, so a few hairs etc. Pretty much off camera... just a tiny bit of sharpening, closed up the slack bottom end of histogram (done on purpose... shot ETTR) and white balancing.. pretty much it.

[edit]
For those that like detail... sorry, Imgur strips EXIF. However...

Nikon D800E
Shot1: 1/3 sec @ f11, ISO100. Nikkor 24-70 f2.8G at 48mm
Shot2: 125th sec @ f16, ISO100. Nikkor 24-70 f2.8G at 38mm
Shot3: 125th sec @ f16, ISO100. Nikkor 24-70 f2.8G at 60mm

Last edited:
Good lighting, definition and I really like the composition as your eye is drawn through the image. Works well as a set, would work really well on a website or brochure, I think the first is the strongest image.

Last edited:
Works well as a set, would work really well on a website or brochure,.

Yep.. that's what they are shot for. Web use, and print catalogue.

I prefer the first too. The second is the obligatory pack shot, and the tight third image is for product detail. The first is kind of the "cover" shot if you will.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow!! You take pictures????? I thought all you did was wind people up??? ;)

Very visually pleasing, pookster.

Wow!! You take pictures????? I thought all you did was wind people up??? ;)

Very visually pleasing, pookster.

Indeed I do... see my gallery.

I do commercial work... pretty pictures... AND art. I'm a man for all seasons :)

Thanks.

Wow!! You take pictures????? I thought all you did was wind people up??? ;).

:ROFLMAO: I think I love you ;)

These are very nice shots david - the only thing i'd offer in terms of crit is that maybe the first one would have been stronger had you not cut the corners of the basket off

:ROFLMAO: I think I love you ;)

These are very nice shots david - the only thing i'd offer in terms of crit is that maybe the first one would have been stronger had you not cut the corners of the basket off

Thanks. Can't decide on that myself now. I did shoot a wider one, but it looked too much the pack shot... in a box... Too late now... binned the raw :)

Cheers.

Incidentally... a trick I picked up ages ago. On shot 2... see how the floor fades to white as it meets the wall? Flour. Just sprinkle flour down - heavy towards the wall, and lighter as you move forwards. No retouching needed (assuming you use d.o.f wisely) :)

Great work. I cant fault any of them (although I did have a good try). It may balance out the cut edges (I won't say clipped as they are clearly intended) if you cut it at the top and right side also, but I can't see a way to do that satisfactorily. I can see why you dismissed a wider shot with it all in frame too, so I think you've most likely gone for the best option. Really great lighting and no doubt they fit the requirements perfectly.

Why are all product shots just plonked on a table? Lol

Great set Pook's think client will be very happy with these my instant thought was the cutting of basket but didn't comment as wanted time to think on it. I think it works very well as think adding bottom left corner would have created a distraction due to its pointy nature when compared to subject being round also would have been like an arrow pointing you out of frame. Maybe a rounded edged basket would have worked though.

Why are all product shots just plonked on a table? Lol

Because they're product shots to display a product. A bathroom setting would be an option, realistically if you think about the product, but then having the products displayed like this, as you receive them in the gift set would make no sense in a bathroom setting. So they are on a neutral, but vaguely rustic setting that complements, and does not compete with the products.. and also, gives no clue what what room they are in.

Guess you just don't understand my humor.

Thanks for replying to the joke bit and not the serious bit. :rolleyes:

Guess you just don't understand my humor.

Thanks for replying to the joke bit and not the serious bit. :rolleyes:

LOL.. OK.. I actually paid little attention to who you were... just read the comments.

Touché

Joking aside, I thought the joke WAS the serious bit... being a crit thread an' all that... so I answered it seriously. Thought it was a genuine question.. not revenge for the macro thread ;)

Thanks. Commercial product shots are not the most exciting generally, but I still love the lighting challenges they throw up, and they can turn in a nice looking image.

Last edited:
I can imagine with ones shots with multiple products all with different type of surfaces which need very delicate care of the lighting.

Saying that you have done well and I like the smaller candle reflection showing in the bigger candle show's attention to detail. Which would be very much required for commercial use especially if going on big signs.

BTW.. Handy hint for controlling reflections in glass bottles. My secret weapon is hairspray :) Not on the whole bottle, but just the areas reflecting the white flats used as a lightsource. You'll notice they're still there, but subdued. A light dusting of hairspray (not laid on thick.. literally a dusting from around 2ft away. You can then carefully wipe it off the areas you still want to be shiny with a small make up brush to feather the edges. Also, never use direct lighting.. bounce lighting off large surfaces.

Stuff like this prevents masses of retouching, which is never successful with glass I find. I'd rather spend time in the studio than sat on my arse at a computer.

Back