Pros and Cons Tripod head

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at getting a decent tripod and was wondering what your opinions were about either a pan head or ball head. Have you tried both? which do you prefer and why :D Mine will mainly be used for bird shots so was wondering if there was an advantage for choosing one over the other, or just a simple case of trying both types out and see what I feel comfortable with :shrug:

Hi Rich.

I own way too many heads, have a ball (grip type) and 3 way pan, to be honest for birds the ball would be better to control than a 3 way pan, or depending on budget may be worth looking at a Manfroto long lens bracket, just got one and liking it alot more for wildlife to be honest.

Cheers Stuart I just Googled Manfroto long lens bracket, and ended up with Manfrotto 393 which seems to be used in conjunction with a monopod, do you have a link if this is not the one you mean Stuart? (y)

The only head for bird photography is really a gimbal such as the Manfrotto 393, and that particular one is a bargain compared to the prices of your other gimbal options. ;)

I have a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head married to a 055XPROB and use it for wildlife, its a good set up and works well, not having used a pan head I cant compare.
However, I saw CT with a 393 gimball head on a tripod and it is far better than a ball head for wildlife, thats next on my to get list. Hope this helps Rich.
Trev

Thanks for your advise guys (y) now to tell the wife, oh and by the way my love it seems I might need a long lens to go with it
hidesbehindsofa.gif

Have a look at this vid (about 3 mins in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OffEGXjhbk. But don't look at the price ;)

Acratech ball head doubles as a gimbal, and a leveling pan head too. From what I've been able to find out, short of actually using one, it does pretty much what it claims. And so it should for £400 :eek:

If you fancy a full-on gimbal, the Indian Wimberley copies at half the price are highly rated.

Looking at getting a decent tripod and was wondering what your opinions were about either a pan head or ball head. Have you tried both? which do you prefer and why :D Mine will mainly be used for bird shots so was wondering if there was an advantage for choosing one over the other, or just a simple case of trying both types out and see what I feel comfortable with :shrug:

It really does depend on what you want to use it for and what camera/lens combo is going on top. I have more tripods and heads that is really needed and find that all the heads get used for different things. I use a ball head or a 3-way for landscape, macro and the odd portrait. I use a video head when using a scope and used to use one with a long lens - a decent one like the Manfrotto 501 works nicely.

I used a 501 with a big lens for a while and liked it alot, I then had the chance to test the 393... I was very unimpressed. The movement of it was excellent, it was well balanced very easy to use, but it was not as stable as the 501 and suffered badly from vibrations. So I stuck with the 501. I then picked up a Jobu Black Widow gimbal head, http://www.tripods-heads-gimbals.com/products/gimbals/jobu_design_gimbal_heads/ this is a whole different thing. Rock solid, super smooth movement and no vibration issues, it is now my frist choice when using a long lens.

Back