Prost F1 Car from Silverstone on Sunday

tim

Name
Tim Preston
Edit My Images
Yes
Played with the levels to make it look authentic, does it work??

P1010055.jpg

Tim

not sure im too keen on it, although i understand what your aiming to do, could you post a picture of the original so we can maybe compare :)

lovely car though, lag central!

i think the editted version is better in that its been sharpened up which appears to have brought out some more detail but im not a fan of the overly 'cool' white balance you've used to get the '80's newspaper look' it seems to loose impact because of it.

my tuppenys worth!

I also tried to 'age' a few of the shots I got of the classic renault race cars - mainly through reducing the saturation and contrast a touch rather than with the level adjustment.. not sure if it would fool anyone - particularly as the cars have "Renault Classic Team" stickers on the side, but I do quite like them.

MG_10520.jpg

MG_10522.jpg

MG_10530.jpg

Coming back to the original poster... yes i would agree the 80's look is quite authentic... but if I can be so rude, its helped by the softness of the original photo...

Was looking at some old 70's action pics - of Concorde actually and the sharpness really is quite poor!

I receive regular comments that my pics are "soft" I assume this is the crispness of the image. How do I improve this. These are shot with a 150mm lens and then cropped, is that the cause.

Here are some more images too, are these "soft"?

This is a regular critiscm I receive and I would like to improve.

P1010211.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010248.jpg

I cant put my finger on it. THey are not that sharp and also seem a bit blurry. Could be that you used a slow shutter speed and camera shake occured!

Well, too soft can be caused by several things... camera shake is one, auto-focus accuracy is another, heat haze/smog is yet another.

If you are using 150mm then cropping at somewhere like Silverstone where the cars are flippin miles away, its proabably the last two on my list.

150mm and 1/320th like those are should be perfectly possible to hand hold, but don't expect everyone to be sharp - I don't! Personally I pick my best shots for sharpness, not the subject - its nice to say you have a photo of the #1 man of the day, but if its soft for whatever reason, bin it is! My best shot might just turn out to be the bloke at the back of the grid...

It looks like you aren't panning with the direction of the car in some of them - if you look at the 'Lukoil Redbull Renault 3.5' shot and compare it to the 'Telmex Renault 3.5' shot, you can see the white highlights (daisies?) in the grassy background follow the direction of the car much better in the Telmex Renault photo, and the car looks much sharper.

In comparison, the tell tale daisies make it look like you moved the camera down a bit relative to the Lukoil car - hence it looks a bit blurred!

In the same way, for the other red bull car it looks like you moved the camera up.

Also, if you are having trouble getting you lens to focus - first of all make sure you have your AF set to AI Servo (this means it will continually try and keep the subject in focus whilst you are half pressing the shutter, rather than just when you first pressed it).

You can also try picking a pre-determined spot on the track where you are going to take a few photos, and pre-focus your lens to the racing line at that part of the track - follow the cars round and then just take the shot when they reach your spot.

also - as desantnik says - if you are cropping it could be that your lens is a bit soft. I was amazed at the difference in lens sharpness between the 'fisher price' kit lens and the next lens i bought - a 50mm f/1.8.

The kit lens was only really useful at about 50% original image size, where as the 50mm looks great right up to 100% crops - so it might be worth finding out what sort of reputation your 150mm lens has.

Back