Purchasing camera from Amazon UK

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone advise please.

Aim considering buying an Olympus camera from Amazon UK. Are these imported (grey) and if so would I be covered for UK warranty?.

Thanks for any information.

Should be UK supplied but they have been caught shipping EU sourced lens in the past that warranty couldn't be obtained on. They accepted the lens back and refunded people from vague memory. Personally speaking all my camera kit from Amazon has been UK stock.

Last edited:
Are you buying it from Amazon, or from an Amazon Marketplace seller?

Buying direct from Amazon is almost always fine, buying from a Marketplace seller you need to pay close attention to the description and seller details.

Thanks Sharky, I know they have a good returns policy, never purchased any kit from them before, reason I asked apart from my interest in using them is that they do appear to offer lower prices.

Are you buying it from Amazon, or from an Amazon Marketplace seller?

Buying direct from Amazon is almost always fine, buying from a Marketplace seller you need to pay close attention to the description and seller details.

Thanks Alastair,

The camera is sold by Amazon (just checked)

Trevor

Don't be worried about buying from Amazon, if it's not what you ordered or you don't like/want it just return it. I have returned a camera and two lenses in the past without any hassle.

As others have said, just ensure that you are buying directly from Amazon and not a marketplace seller.
I bought a Canon camera from Amazon a few years ago and it developed a fault within about 10 months. Canon said "send it back to them". Amazon said 'do you want in instant replacement with a brand new unit or do you want a full refund?' - very impressive customer service!

very impressive customer service!

I second that, bought a lens from Amazon in November, used for 2 months and returned this week for a full refund, minus return postage fee, on basis of "cheaper price elswehere" on their list of reasons for return.

Posted to them on Monday, received email confirmation on Tuesday stating refund will be made within 3-5 days. Phenomenal customer service.

I second that, bought a lens from Amazon in November, used for 2 months and returned this week for a full refund, minus return postage fee, on basis of "cheaper price elswehere" on their list of reasons for return.

Posted to them on Monday, received email confirmation on Tuesday stating refund will be made within 3-5 days. Phenomenal customer service.

Probably not the right thing to do, but in that case couldn't people use Amazon almost to rent lenses?

Last edited:
Feasibly, I suppose so, though not without its risks and questionable ethics.

Amazon are spot on even with stuff they don't supply themselves (Amazon fulfilled)
I bought a used battery from this forum some time back - when I got it, it looked a bit dodgy so I went to the Nikon site and compared it - turned out it was fake so I returned it to the seller on here and he returned it to Amazon and got a full refund from them.
I also bought my D7100 from them recently and have it registered with Nikon for the full 2 year warranty so am confident that's not a grey import.

I bought a used battery from this forum some time back - when I got it, it looked a bit dodgy so I went to the Nikon site and compared it - turned out it was fake so I returned it to the seller on here and he returned it to Amazon and got a full refund from them.

Same experience I had buying a Nikon battery from an Amazon Marketplace seller fulfilled by Amazon.

Feasibly, I suppose so, though not without its risks and questionable ethics.

Whose ethics are you questioning? :sneaky:

Buying from Amazon is fine, but I've seen posts from one or two 'togs having real difficulties with Amazon when it came to warranty repairs, in that rights, etc, are under Luxembourg consumer legislation which seems not to be as good as the UK.

I think it's a simple 30 days then talk to the manufacturer.

Buying from Amazon is fine, but I've seen posts from one or two 'togs having real difficulties with Amazon when it came to warranty repairs, in that rights, etc, are under Luxembourg consumer legislation which seems not to be as good as the UK.

Thanks John,

The model aim looking at has an offer attached, claim direct from Olympus UK (free grip) so perhaps this should be fine!

Trevor

I was thinking you were being a bit hypocritical - you used a lens for two months and then sent it back because the price had dropped? I'm surprised you got away with it!

Can see why you might think that, so to complete the picture for you, I didn't "get away" with anything, simply took advantage of Amazon's return policy when I saw the same lens again, on promotion with another retailer, almost 6 weeks later. Purchased it from the other retailer, returned the original to Amazon, they issued the refund, I saved £100. Simply by making use of their excellent Xmas period extended returns policy.

I think Amazon's return policy applies to unused items, so I think you didn't use their excellent returns policy, but abused it. If you had returned the new lens to Amazon, then fair enough. I wouldn't have had the brass neck to do what you did, but you did get away with it and someone else will probably receive a used lens instead of a nice new one.

Last edited:
There is always the risk of Amazon banning the customer for too many returns. I returned an Olympus 75mm back to amazon because i found a tiny dust particle and there was no problems.

I have over the years bought a few cameras from Amazon with no problems...

Agreed - When my Amazon bought SSD drive failed recently after several months use (but well within the warranty period), they insisted I return to Sandisk for repair / replacement which I knew would take approx 2 weeks end to end. I emailed and phoned Amazon to insist that by UK law I should be able to deal direct with them as the retailer - but they were having none of it. They just politely kept repeating that I had to send it off to the Sandisk repair centre in the Czech Republic. So, my wife had to live without her laptop for 2 weeks!

As mentioned, they are amazing if things go wrong within the initial 30 days, but after that it seems to be pot luck.

I think Amazon's return policy applies to unused items, so I think you didn't use their excellent returns policy, but abused it. If you had returned the new lens to Amazon, then fair enough. I wouldn't have had the brass neck to do what you did, but you did get away with it and someone else will probably receive a used lens instead of a nice new one.

Charlie, I really don't understand why so riled here. :thinking: And I don't much care for the accusatory tone to be honest. In the interest of fact, and for the OP to make his mind up re merits of buying from Amazon, here's their policy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=orc_hp_s_retpol?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1161002#

I purchased and returned in good faith and in accordance with the terms "best possible condition". I doubt very much that Amazon will resell as new, they will return to manufacturer and it will enter the refurb chain.

Trevor, I simply posted my experience of what I believe to be excellent CS. Good luck with your purchase if you go down the Amazon route, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Charlie, I really don't understand why so riled here. :thinking: And I don't much care for the accusatory tone to be honest. In the interest of fact, and for the OP to make his mind up re merits of buying from Amazon, here's their policy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=orc_hp_s_retpol?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1161002#

I purchased and returned in good faith and in accordance with the terms "best possible condition". I doubt very much that Amazon will resell as new, they will return to manufacturer and it will enter the refurb chain.

Trevor, I simply posted my experience of what I believe to be excellent CS. Good luck with your purchase if you go down the Amazon route, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Thanks Pmba

Yes I have purchased, just waiting delivery.

Trevor

I doubt very much that Amazon will resell as new, they will return to manufacturer and it will enter the refurb chain.

They will probably actually sell as amazon warehouse and describe in as used - as new or used - very good.

I bought a tripod that was a customer return like that. Only thing that was wrong was the box was a bit bashed at one end. Tripod locked like it hadn't even been taken out of the box. Cost me £200 instead of £300, so someone will probably get a bargain with your returned lens

They will probably actually sell as amazon warehouse and describe in as used - as new or used - very good.

I bought a tripod that was a customer return like that. Only thing that was wrong was the box was a bit bashed at one end. Tripod locked like it hadn't even been taken out of the box. Cost me £200 instead of £300, so someone will probably get a bargain with your returned lens

Agreed - Pmba probably did someone a favour - they will get a nearly new lens for a reduced price from the Warehouse section - all with warranty etc but at bargain price!
I have purchased 2 warehouse items in the past - they were virtually new but I save around 20% of the normal Amazon price.
Amazon make enough money as it is - if they have to swallow a small loss occasionally, so be it!

I'm not riled, I'm just surprised that no-one else seems to think it's wrong to use an item for a reasonable length of time and return it for refund regardless of what the policy is. Must be me going funny in my old age.

I'm not riled, I'm just surprised that no-one else seems to think it's wrong to use an item for a reasonable length of time and return it for refund regardless of what the policy is. Must be me going funny in my old age.
Don't worry, you aren't the only person who thinks like you and what you said above......

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Maybe if it was some dedicated camera shop then others may have agreed would -I certainly would have - but seeing as its Amazon and the time period did comply with their (Christmas) returns policy.....

Back