Pushing it slightly ?

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Pushing my camera and filters to there limits with this one as the light was so strong, as you can see with shadow being cast LHS of stream, anyway I tried my hardest to capture it as it was, shame the sensor could not get to grips with the Top RHS :eek: camera Nikon D800 lens zeiss 21mm, Info Only.

Snowdonia - Watkin Path by Kevin O'Brian, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think that is excellent (y)

I think you just about squeaked it with this one Kevin, well worth the effort, it a lovely picture, I love it,

Geoff

Not really much to say about this shot Kevin, other than "Excellent", good composition, beautiful light, shadow detail etc etc. What more could you ask for ? (y)

George.

Very impressive, I do like the way the light guides you up the valley. At first I wondered if just concentrating on the valley floor would reduce the contrast . But you would lose the wonderful colours on the rocks in the foreground.

I think you've done an amazing job with an extremely difficult scene Kevin. I do love the DR on the D800. I would try and lighten the top of the mountain on the left but I'm guessing you've already tried that and don't want to push it too much?

It reminds me of the film days, when you could not mess things up by pushing the shadows too much! To be fair as a piece of art it works wonderfully, warm colours/cool colours, bright tones/dark tones and mountains. In response to the title of the thread, yes it is pushing it slightly, personally I would have filtered the sky and shot bracketed exposures because your eye would be able to see more detail on the left hand side so I would want to try and bring that out. Probably would mess it up though, like I said simple is beautiful!

Amazing, love the lighting into the valley. Excellent shot

Looks like you pulled it off pretty well Kev, as well as you could for the conditions, don't think you'd ever manage to control that top right, too hot. However IMHO that's how the eye would have seen it (extremely bright) and that works for me! Its absolutely fantastic light! Great shaft of light pouring in from the RHS. I love the fantastic colours in the cloud, and the great light on the slopes of the valley. Nice jagged dispersed rocks in the foreground typical Snowdonia!
I really like the contrast across this shot, from the dark silhouette of the peak to the shaft of light on the right.
I have lost my orientation here! That's Yr Aran on the Left?

Nice work as usual Kevin(y)

I like it a lot as is. I see nowt wrong with the contrast from bright to dark. Gives it more mood and atmosphere. I always think that bracketing can sometimes lead to a sterile image that would have lacked the atmosphere you have here, but thats only my opinion. The D800 and the Zeiss 21 is a cracking combo.

... shame the sensor could not get to grips with the Top RHS :eek: ...
Don't think any sensor could cope with that amount of DR and nor can our eyes either. I don't have an issue with the top rhs, it is what it is - bright! :) If you really wanted to tame it a bit you could try a radial filter (inverted) but I'm not sure I'd bother too much.

This is one of those images that just needs printing and put on a wall somewhere and admired. Really nicely done.

I've also struggled with controlling the high contrast light this week, I've stacked filters on and still lost details due to heavy shadows or blown highlights. It's very difficult - or near impossible - to get a full dynamic range without bracketing (which I never do). I first saw this image and thought "WOW" the lighting is incredible. Then I looked more and my eye kept being pulled to the lack of detail on the mountain summit. However, the more I look at it the more I like it! The lighting is just great. Like someone else mentioned it looks like it was shot in film because of the high contrast. Excellent shot.

Back