Critique Quick set up with my Kids

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Any C+C please :D

Just getting the hang of using an external flash..

I've never really liked the 'effect' the flash gave me before, i realise now that it was probably because it was a cheap flash unit..
However after getting a 'new' ETTL piece.. I'm liking them now :)

_MG_4685 by BennyBoo43, on Flickr

_MG_4690 by BennyBoo43, on Flickr

Not too much Post here.. Just darkening as I have a cheap backdrop with crease lines.. So that's next on the list ;)

Nah, people often just look and not leaving any feedback, I had a 100 views before some kind soul took the time to reply. I much prefer the 2nd shot think its a great pose, I've tried something similar recently and your lighting looks far better than mine. The only thin I would mention is that both subjects are a little too central, would have liked positioning on either 1/3rd. Other than that nice shots.

How, I like the casual pose of #2, but prefer the fun nature and composition of #1. I'd crop in a tads, just above his belly button and maybe throw the off to one side. Lighting looks OK to me.

Cheers.

What's the setup then please? And what methods of bribery have you used on the children? I've tried with my 4 year old and he's not playing ball!

Like the pose in image 2, quite like the pose in 1 too, eyes are gone though and just look like black holes. When you say you darkened during post did you make any universal changes? Could well be the reason you've lost the detail in the eyes.

Liking the last shot- the eyes are a tad dark = an easy PP fix

Like this with a slight crop to throw him off centre

Les ;)

Nah, people often just look and not leaving any feedback, I had a 100 views before some kind soul took the time to reply. I much prefer the 2nd shot think its a great pose, I've tried something similar recently and your lighting looks far better than mine. The only thin I would mention is that both subjects are a little too central, would have liked positioning on either 1/3rd. Other than that nice shots.

Thanks for that, I see further down someone also suggested off centre.. I didn't think to try that, thanks :)

How, I like the casual pose of #2, but prefer the fun nature and composition of #1. I'd crop in a tads, just above his belly button and maybe throw the off to one side. Lighting looks OK to me.

Cheers.

Thankyou

What's the setup then please? And what methods of bribery have you used on the children? I've tried with my 4 year old and he's not playing ball!

My kids hate having a picture taken.. No matter how much chocolate I promise.. This was just an opportunity to play on a chair haha

Setup wise, just a 40D and Yongnou 565EX and moving it around a little to find the best spot.

Like the pose in image 2, quite like the pose in 1 too, eyes are gone though and just look like black holes. When you say you darkened during post did you make any universal changes? Could well be the reason you've lost the detail in the eyes.

Thanks, that's probably the reason for the eyes.. I might take some more time editing this weekend.

Liking the last shot- the eyes are a tad dark = an easy PP fix

Like this with a slight crop to throw him off centre

Les ;)

Thanks for the edit, good to see how others see it :)

Hi

Like the second one more.....but

It looks a bit underexposed to me.
For my tastes subject is too central, but its worth a re-shoot to get it right as its got potential (to my eyes!)

Quick and dirty edit (my first act since getting internet back after 10 days!) with a low res file - but purely for illustration

TP Edit-2 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Shaheed

Hi

Like the second one more.....but

It looks a bit underexposed to me.
For my tastes subject is too central, but its worth a re-shoot to get it right as its got potential (to my eyes!)

Quick and dirty edit (my first act since getting internet back after 10 days!) with a low res file - but purely for illustration

TP Edit-2 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Shaheed

So sorry Sir Sr! Missed this post..!

Thanks for the comments and the work you've put in to that image.

I can see how it works off centre, it works very well!

Thankyou all :)

Like the 2nd image, but I'd crop in tighter, as the raised knee is really distracting.

So sorry Sir Sr! Missed this post..!

Thanks for the comments and the work you've put in to that image.

I can see how it works off centre, it works very well!

Thankyou all :)

No problem, really was a very quick edit for illustration. Great pose and with greater care could have been a really special image - still good though!

Always good fun.....if the kids play ball! Mine were actively hiding whilst I had the camera in my hands tonight!

Trying to photo my three kids, 6 and twins at 3, puts me off portraits lol. I can never get all three looking at the camera and doing a nice smile, instead of forced, with eyes open. Talk about stressful.

Back