Edit My Images
No
Bit quiet tonight

How about posting any bird for Critique

Call it bird A, B and so on and mark it out of 10 and say why

Just put your average shots in here

Comments - No abuse, just the normal stuff

BIRD A

I'll give it 5/10, mainly because it was taken in full sun and cannot be brought back in PP, white blown in head streak, (worsened in PP - main problem IMHO), … of course it's softish, but we, sorry, they all are! …… the composition is not too good and the background far from attractive …….. so why did I take the shot, you may ask?
On the other hand I quite like the pose, it's beak is "Finch like), and I don't mind the light (and heat), as it reminds me of the moment I saw it … I quite like the colours and it always surprises me how birds seem to naturally find spots where they blend into the background, even man-made ones

I'm keeping the image until I get a better one, it's a Streaky Seedeater, (a member of the Finch family)

Comment on my image … ask questions of other people and comment on their's as best you can

As I said, no abuse, just the "normal" banter …… don't be afraid to express an opinion if you are not used to giving Critique …… we may all learn something and appreciate why the comments are made …. or you could talk about the broken Redsnapper tripod head on another thread

BIRD A

Streaky_S.jpg

ORIGINAL IMAGE, before PP
_DSC3161.jpg

Last edited:
No abuse?? I'm outo_O

What's photography about? Isn't it the recording of light and graphic form? But also the conveyance of some sort of sense?

Technically, the whites look over-hyped in image 1, though a certain increase of contrast is needed with reference to image 2. It's just that it's been taken too far especially in respect of the highlights.

Otherwise than that, I could uncharitably suggest that the bird looks like a stuffed specimen in both images. Its posture looks unnaturally stilled. This isn't helped by the shallow depth of field.

Is the image about just the recording of a specimen, or could it include more of an emotional human response to the natural world of which we're part? If so, how?

Don`t like the processing at all Bill, subject looks unnatural.

There looks as though there is more info in the head flash in the non PP version.

That's true Ken, I tried to cut the head flash from the non processed and paste it into the processed but it did not work - there was no way that I could find to improve the blown white that I had exacerbated in the processed image.

What's photography about? Isn't it the recording of light and graphic form? But also the conveyance of some sort of sense?

Technically, the whites look over-hyped in image 1, though a certain increase of contrast is needed with reference to image 2. It's just that it's been taken too far especially in respect of the highlights.

Otherwise than that, I could uncharitably suggest that the bird looks like a stuffed specimen in both images. Its posture looks unnaturally stilled. This isn't helped by the shallow depth of field.

Is the image about just the recording of a specimen, or could it include more of an emotional human response to the natural world of which we're part? If so, how?

Most of my bird shots are about "recording the image" Rog,- I have said this many times on this Forum - and that the end product is part of my bird watching interest and as such I want to get the best technical quality and composition that I can, but of course I enjoy trying to achieve such a photographic objective. Shallow DOF would be the "norm" to isolate the bird from the background in shots like this, generally the simpler the bg the better. I have tried more expressive and creative "bird" images and post a few each week but I have not been successful at all in gaining any positive comments, or indeed persuading others to "have a go", ……. in fact quite the reverse………. but suggestions and examples on how to achieve such are always welcomed and it would be interesting to see such an example posted in this thread?
Most times that you see birds they are just "hanging around" in the wild, OK Raptors, etc., can be more dramatic etc., (as seen in the next image, #7), but such interesting situations are few and far between and not easy to capture "in the wild" and are usually the result of "bated" perches and shots from a hide, (which I am not criticising in any way with my comment).
Interesting that you should mention "posture that is un-naturally stilted" - looking at the other half a dozen shots of the Streaky Seedeater that I have all it's postures could attract the same comment.

Don`t like the processing at all Bill, subject looks unnatural.

Ade, that's one of the reasons why I posted it, I wanted to get some suggestions as to what could be changed, but I suppose the suggestion in this case is "bin it".

I tried all my limited skills in CS6 and LR to improve a "flat" and uninteresting image, but I suppose I need to continuing reading "the book"….. I need to "master" layers to help me move forward

Thanks all for your comments

Last edited:
Ok I'll play

Gary I cannot see any improvements that I would (can) make to that image which is very good.

It is sharpe, the colours look natural, the detail is very good and the eye is perfect

Obviously there is strong light, (and shadows), in the image

Maybe just have a look at reducing the shadows and highlights a little - just to see how it looks, and then maybe not change anything.

Background good, and space around the bird fine, maybe a tad more on the left and above the bird, just to see how it looks.

The only thing that I did NOT notice immediately was the birds prey, it blends in with the perch very well ….. maybe lift the shadows on that a little.

Got be be at least an 8/10 for me. I'd be very happy with an image like that

maybe that image "includes more of an emotional human response to the natural world of which we're part?" that Rog seeks in #5

Last edited:
Back