RAF Hercules three ship on their Fini Flight through the Mach Loop today

Good shots Chris and well taken but why is it a farewell flight? Are the RAF stopping using them?

Excellent images. Was on radio 2 news today. Doing a farewell tour.

The end of an era for us. Both my wife and son (him very briefly) were Range Managers for Hercs and they played a huge part of my RAF career. They flew over us yesterday as part of their farewell tour. A fantastic iconic aircraft and great pictures of them Chris.

There are over 200 Hercs in UK military service, they are being replaced by 22 (yes 22) A400s

200? Where was that number plucked from? Do the RAF need more than 22 A400s? Presumably if they do there will be a politicians family member who has a rental company that can supply the capability at greater cost to the tax-payer ;)

The RAF ceased to be a meaningful 'Force' a long time ago

Marshalls do far more buisness with other hercules operators and the loss of the last few hercs in the RAF will have little imapct?

Back to the photos....always nice to see the larger aircraft at low level.

Last edited:
I have just checked, you are correct there were 242 but today there are only 14 left

I have just checked, you are correct there were 242 but today there are only 14 left

242 in total since 1967 perhaps but never that many in service. Largest number in service would have been around 60 and by the mid 1970s that had already been reduced. Since then several orders were placed for replacements to the oldest ones but the total numbers in service reduced each time.
Currently there are probably about five left at Brize.
Don't recall the proposed numbers for transports when the hercs were due for retirement in the 1990s but it was less than 50 and that was to include the C-17s and the future large transport (A400).
Sad to see the hercs go, especially as it's one of only three types I've been through the loop in but at least we get regular visits of others from Europe (and further afield into Marshall's) so photographs won't end here just yet

Never had a go at the Mach loop, what sort of focal length is needed up there?

There was a book, 'Unseen Airshows', which later became 'Lowdown', about low level spots. Internet killed that off as someone copied the book (without permission!) online.
Subsequently websites dedicated to the topic appeared and might have advice.
Back when we were doing the books up to 500mm was typical on a 35mm camera.
Gave that kind of thing up before I swapped to digital as primary camera but on full frame I'd suggest typically between 300 and 600mm.

Back