RAF Role Demo air display

Edit My Images
Yes
Wednesday saw me getting rather sunburnt at RAF Waddington whilst watching the RAF get their display authorisation for the Role Demo air display for 2008. They have to peform the air display twice (once for the primary crews and again for the secondary crews) for a high ranking RAF officer.

For those who haven't seen the display before it now includes an Apache :cool: but they have lost the C-130 Hercules :(

Anyhow, on to the photos.....

The show of force passes by the F3 and GR4s. They were really moving!

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

No.3 is the winner, good frame filling action photograph with plenty of detail and sharpness. You never fail to impress Gord!

They're good shots - What would be cool is the illusion of speed.

Great shots, it's a tough one between 1 and 2. For me I think 2 just edges it, with the vortices highly visible. I really like the way you caught the vortices across the top of the wing surface in both.

They're brilliant shots. #2 is my fave. Love the vortices (don't know what they're called, but as someone else has called them this ...) over the wings, and the angle of the plane. Very minor point, but some of them (#3 & #4) are maybe a bit closely cropped for my liking?

Last edited:
Awesome photos. Framing is really good, and the detail is incredible!

I did it was quite funny if your still unsure who i am i was the one graham introduced you to erm got a 350d you were looking at it to see if i had it set up right

Yup, I remember. Good to see you on here!

They're brilliant shots. #2 is my fave. Love the vortices (don't know what they're called, but as someone else has called them this ...) over the wings, and the angle of the plane. Very minor point, but some of them (#3 & #4) are maybe a bit closely cropped for my liking?

Thank you.

I usually don't crop the image as tightly as that but I did for a few reasons. I wanted to fit as much detail in the image as possible so the vortices (that is the correct term btw :)) would stand out. I also used the last frame in my burst as the lighting was far from ideal so it didn't leave me with a lot of space to crop.

but they have lost the C-130 Hercules :(

They lost it? Where was it last seen -I'll go look!
:puke:

Picturs look Amazing mate, I love all this aviation photography but i guess the kit to shoot them is very expensive.

I think you mind find it either in Afghanistan or Iraq. ;)

My setup for this was a 40D with a 300 f/4 L IS with a 1.4 teleconverter but I soon swapped to my 100-400 L IS.

As aviation photography goes that's fairly middle range stuff. There has been a big push for f/2.8 lenses especially the Canon 300 f/2.8 L IS over the last 18 months (I've seen five people make the change).

That's not to say you have to spend big before you can get any good aviation photos. Your 400D will be fine, all you need is to invest in a 70-300 lens and a lot of patience :D

I live near a commicial airport (liverpool John-lennon), but also a more private airport too (Barton - Mancester way). I always see the planes flying abou but as you already know, Very limited with my lens.
I'm lookingfor a 70-300mm or 55-200mm lens but money is very tight at the minute as i'm looking for a house.

Your pictures look stunning though!

Good going on the F3 full frontal, what a great pair of intakes,:love:the rest are great too.
Dean:)

I live near a commicial airport (liverpool John-lennon), but also a more private airport too (Barton - Mancester way). I always see the planes flying abou but as you already know, Very limited with my lens.
I'm lookingfor a 70-300mm or 55-200mm lens but money is very tight at the minute as i'm looking for a house.

Your pictures look stunning though!

If you want to see some local fast military jets get yourself to Bae Warton, some great shots can be had from the fence without reach (y).

BTW great shots Gord :clap:.

Steve...

Last edited:
Nice I wish I'd known, I gave myself a few days off last week.

You going to the display at Waddington this year?

Thanks for the comments.

Dino, glad you like the frontal F3.

Sands, I want to try to get a visit to Warton some point this year. Trouble is it's a long way for me and I always get tempted to go somewhere else instead. :)

You going to the display at Waddington this year?

Yes, I will be. I'm not normally an airshow person but I will be doing both RIAT and Waddo this year due to the Apache display, Raptor display and the chance of seeing a certain triangle tin aircraft. :)

If you have any tips on Waddo such as where to stand, focal lengths, stuff to take, etc they would be most welcome. (y)

Thanks for the comments.

Dino, glad you like the frontal F3.

Sands, I want to try to get a visit to Warton some point this year. Trouble is it's a long way for me and I always get tempted to go somewhere else instead. :)

Yes, I will be. I'm not normally an air show person but I will be doing both RIAT and Waddo this year due to the Apache display, Raptor display and the chance of seeing a certain triangle tin aircraft. :)

If you have any tips on Waddo such as where to stand, focal lengths, stuff to take, etc they would be most welcome. (y)

When I went 2 years ago the main priority was buy tickets in advance on line.

then on the day get to the airfield vicinity for 7AM latest (they will be queueing)

I came from the Sleaford Direction and turned off the A15 well before the normal viewing point to enter through a back entrance.

we then followed the cars and were able to park within 20 yards of the crowd line barriers again at the bottom end of the runway somewhere in the region just to the left of the barn farm car park as shown on the map.

Getting there early allowed plenty of time to walk up to the static display areas.

http://www.waddingtonairshow.co.uk/showMap.asp

With them taking off and landing left to right as per map (in 2006) this gave a great view with aircraft just off the ground (at take off ) and taxi shots on landing.
In 2006 I was on my old film gear and was using a full frame SLR with either a 500mm CAT lens or for bigger aircraft doing low slow passes or taxiing a 80-210 zoom.

The crowd line that year was never completely full so I used to walk over to it for take off and landings but took all other pics from next to our vehicle, quite nice really.
this year I'll be using a 300mm prime with a 1.4 TC and a 70-300 Zoom for other shots.

If you have anything bigger take it.

Food and drink prices are a bit silly, so take plenty.
We will have an estate so will take a couple of chairs and an umbrella (the sun was intense in 2006 so take a hat with wide brims)

Also the grass may be long so be careful if your car has a catalytic convertor, the car behind us went up in flames.

Flight list so far
Mil
RAF MULTI-ROLE DEMONSTRATION - The demonstrations will last approximately 45 minutes, including departures and recoveries, and will show real RAF air-power in action. For further details see News item on Home Page
Patrulla Aguila - Spanish Air Force Display Team
The Sarangs - Indian Air Force Helicopter Display Team
Los Halcones - Chilean Air Force Display Team
Red Arrows - Royal Air Force Display Team
The RAF Falcons - Free Fall Parachute Team
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane
Blue Eagles - Army Air Corps Helicopter Display Team
Black Cats - Royal Navy Helicopter Display Team
F18 - Spanish Air Force
B-52 - USAF
Mirage 2000 - French Air Force
E-3D Sentry - 8/23 Sqn RAF Waddington
Sentinel - 5 (AC) Sqn RAF Waddington
Typhoon - 29 (R) Sqn RAF Coningsby
Tucano T Mk1 - CFS (T) Sqn RAF Linton-on-Ouse
Tutor-Grob G 115E - 1 Sqn 1EFTS RAFC Cranwell
Hawk T Mk1 - 208 Sqn RAF Valley
Chinook - RAF Odiham
Super King Air B200 - 45 (R) Sqn RAFC Cranwell
Apache - Army Air Corps Middle Wallop
Chinook - Role Demo
Tornado F-3 - Role Demo
Tornado GR-4 - Role Demo
Hawk T Mk1 - Role Demo
E-3d Sentry - Role Demo
Apache - Role Demo
Spitfire/Typhoon - Synchronised Display
Merlin - 814 RNAS Culdrose

Civ
Avro Vulcan XH 558 - Vulcan to the Sky Trust
The Blades - Extra 300 2 Excel
Dassault Falcon - FR Aviation
Team Condor - RAF Gliding and Soaring Association
L-39 Albatross - Gerald Williams (P)
T-28 Talon - Martin Williams (P)
Vampire T11 - Vampire Preservation Group (P)
Hunter - Hawker Hunter Aviation (P)
Lockheed L-749 Constellation - Dutch (P)
Douglas DC-6 - Air Atlantique (P)

So hopefully a B-52 and the Vulcan, worth it just for those.

Hope this helps

Love em!! Head on shot is cracking! :)

Nice pic's. This is from the demo at Cosford last year. From what I have heard they are going to be doing more role demo's this year, not just over airfields. I think Southport is going to get one on the beach.
MBlast20669.jpg

Back