Rainy Day Wedding

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Not a bad church & nice venue but rain was persistent!! Managed to get some shots outdoors courtesy of the new summer house/gazebo on the lawn but shame we couldn't have spent more time and got the dress spread out. Some I quite like as I am going through them:

1 - The green drops were illuminated from the floor with a green light which made WB correction fun.....

HT1.jpg

2 - Quite a roomy old car so not bad for the back seat shots

HT2.jpg

3 - Shame we couldn't have spent more time with the car and show the dress off :-(

HT3.jpg

4 - Couple were up for a bit of a walk in the gardens so good on 'em!

HT4.jpg

Nice shots :) I did a wedding last December right before Christmas and it rained alllll day. Luckily they had a nice conservatory for us to get some shots in.

Looks like you've made the most of a bad (weather) situation!

Forgive me for asking, but what is the point of the first picture?

Love the second. :)

That is destined to be the front cover of the landscape album! Thanks.
Forgive me for asking, but what is the point of the first picture?
It shows the dress detailing on the back & her hair. Their child is also looking on at proceedings as well as best man & father of the bride. You probably plan to be at the alter just the once so a photographic record of proceedings at this point with family and friends in shot was in my thought process when taking the shot.

Theres a few things. I'm not seeing 1. With the chairs the impact you see from the photo just isn't there. I wonder why 4 & 5 have white borders round them? and his jacket is unfortunate on number 2

Thank you, Adrian. I only asked because I checked your URL and saw that you offer wedding photography, so I assume that this was a paid job. Because it would seem that you're likely to be photographing another church wedding in due course, you might perhaps like to consider the following observations :)

It shows the dress detailing on the back & her hair.

Yes, it does show the dress detailing on the back and her hair, but only in the same sense that it also shows that the groom's hire suit is (as usual) both ill-fitting and badly tailored. Otherwise what it shows is essentially the backs of the main players at a moment when nothing is happening because the vicar's just paused in his spiel.

If a shot of the back of the dress and her hair is important to the bride (and it's often more important to the photographer than it is to the bride), you need to make a proper job of it, and that's a doddle to do either before the ceremony or during the drinks reception. Saying that a general shot such as the above shows the dress detailing and her hair doesn't work for me, and won't for many brides.

Their child is also looking on at proceedings as well as best man & father of the bride.

Indeed they are. But what exactly are they "looking on" at? A vicar who has just finished speaking, that's what. A "looking on at" shot needs to be very well done indeed if it is to be clear to the viewer what the point of the picture is.

You probably plan to be at the alter just the once so a photographic record of proceedings at this point with family and friends in shot was in my thought process when taking the shot.

Sorry, but I simply don't understand that. The star of the show's got to the front, she's handed her flowers to the CBM, and the vicar's paused in what he's saying before Dad hands her over and they get down to the business. What on earth is special about that point in the proceedings? Whatever, one thing to beware of in situations like this is Candle Head. Moving very slightly to your left would have avoided that, and possibly also let us see a bit more of Dad's face.

IMO the other three are excellent. As Hugh says, his jacket is unfortunate in #2 but that's the groom's problem, not yours.

Thanks for your comments above.

With the church shot, like I said, I just 'liked it'. As you say there are more important shots during the ceremony which I took but I liked this group (even the priest was sort of smiling) but I take your points onboard.

Hugh - There is a white border around 1 pic (car shot) as I was playing with the image to see what it would look like as a postcard (with white border which also helps to give the appearance of more space in front of the car) and this is the one I uploaded to here. As for the suit I should have seen it and straightened it (but I didn't see it)..........I think they will see the shot for the informal fun shot it is

Double post - edited.

Last edited:
Back