Rapid weight loss?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Probably a little more personal than I would normally post on a public forum but I don't know anyone who has had this problem, so here goes. I'm a 73 year old male, at Christmas I weighed 11st 2lb and been weight stable for the last 12 years since a heart attack. Over the weeks following Christmas my weight started to drop off without any difference to my eating habits and by the middle of March I was down to 10st 1lb so off to the doctors I went, although I felt perfectly fine. The doctor was absolutely superb and over the next two weeks I had a physical examination, blood tests, X-ray's, bowel screening and a neck to groin contrast CT scan, all the results came back clear and nothing sinister was found. The doctor reassured me somewhat by saying that if it was due to cancer there normally would be other symptoms showing by the time the weight loss started but I show no other symptoms. The weight is still continuing to drop but at a slower rate, today I'm down to 9st 12 lb. I'm being monitored by the doctor on a monthly basis. I have no worries (other than this), I'm happily married no money or family worries at all. I keep body and mind active. Finally I get to my question, knowing we have a mature membership on here has anyone had anything remotely similar to this and can share any outcomes you had? I am really happy with the medical side of things but always open to suggestions. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen it, the NHS page on rapid unintentional weight loss is here...

2st seems an awful lot in such a small space of time so if you were one of my loved ones Neil I think I'd be pestering you to go somewhere else for a second opinion.

That’s quick if you are eating the same. Thyroid issue maybe?

My aunt had it but it took a while to diagnose.

We had a very similar thing with our elderly cat, and it was indeed Thyroid, a twice daily bit of medication has stabilised him. It does sound similar, but would normally have shown up in the blood tests (assuming that was a marker looked for in the test).

2st seems an awful lot in such a small space of time so if you were one of my loved ones Neil I think I'd be pestering you to go somewhere else for a second opinion.
Just to be clear 11st2lb to 9st12lb isn't 2 stone, it's 1st4lb ie 10lb difference.

On the initial concern I wouldn't have classed your Christmas to March loss (nearly 11 weeks) as rapid as such but you did the right thing to get checked out and like your dr said the prime reason for unexplained weight loss is a cancer concern.
Youre second weight loss is only 3lb over a monthish? Sounds to me like you've had a proper MOT and more than I'd have expected of a GP to arrange to be honest, you must have a good one.
If no cancer has been found that's very reassuring, and it sounds like if they've done all your bloods etc seems like they have ruled a lot out. Have you copies of the bloods just in case anything got missed, ie im assuming they checked TFTs (thyroid) and HBa1c (related to sugar levels over a three month period) etc.?

FWIW, I'm trying (not very hard, TBH!) to lose some weight and I've managed a stone and a half since just before commercialmas.

FWIW, I'm trying (not very hard, TBH!) to lose some weight and I've managed a stone and a half since just before commercialmas.

Most of my life I've had the opposite issue, I find it difficult to maintain my weight. I have been checked out on several occasions and it is I gather just a matter of healthy eating and lifestyle and not and being all that interested in eating for pleasure or drinking alcohol. Without a certain degree of what I see as force feeding I drop back to what seems to be a natural weight for me at which I see myself as being too thin and I like to be a bit bulkier and maintaining that is a bit of a task.

I do think that a significant change in either direction is a potential worry and I'd see 1st 4lb (thank you Paul) as significant if you don't see a cause for this change over this time period Neil. Past family experience with medical professionals leads me to the attitude that if I thought something was a worry I wouldn't leave it in the hands of one health professional if the issue seemed to be dragging on. I've seen too many mistakes to just take a doctors word without a second opinion if only to ease my mind.

Good luck with this Neil.

But a 10lb difference between 2 stone and 1st 4lb.

The obvious things have been mentioned and checked by your GP. Have you changed the times you eat, or any medication you take? These can affect weight more than you might think.

Well you did the right thing checking with your GP before the internet !
Two things for consideration:
Did you use the same scales throughout and did the doc verify your latest measurement ?
Presumably you’ve noticed physical signs such as looser clothing ?
I wish you well regardless.

It's 1st 4lb Alan and watching it like a hawk.
The obvious things have been mentioned and checked by your GP. Have you changed the times you eat, or any medication you take? These can affect weight more than you might think.
My medication wasn't changed as such but added too, as I'm also on a waiting list for a heart bypass. As far as I know every check has been carried out. All in all there has been 3 different professionals involved in examining the results of the tests so it's not just my GP. I can only think it's worry about my upcoming bypass although I don't feel worried about that. Maybe it's worry about worrying if that's possible. Thanks for all your replies guys.

Regardless. It's still a lot and a worry.
Well you did the right thing checking with your GP before the internet !
Two things for consideration:
Did you use the same scales throughout and did the doc verify your latest measurement ?
Presumably you’ve noticed physical signs such as looser clothing ?
I wish you well regardless.
Thank you. Yes, all weight on the same scales which tallied with the ones at the surgery. I am the sort of person who would seek a second opinion if I thought it necessary. I also wouldn't think twice about seeking private medical opinions and tests but the NHS has been fantastic. My doctor is a thorough chap.

But a 10lb difference between 2 stone and 1st 4lb.

I don't want to start a discussion about this particularly, but the quote compares the start and finish weights and then ends with i.e.10lb difference which I took to mean between start and finish weights from the context. But maybe that was what he meant?

18lb IS a big weight loss for someone who was already on the light side.

Back