Razorbill

I think you've done a good job. Not sure if it's my eyes, or the screen, but the blacks look like they have a little blue tint to them. Was this fella sat on the rocks as you go up the stairs at the landing spot on skomer island?

These are always tough to PP as their eyes are so small and difficult to see against their black plumage.

This looks to me to be a little more brown than black. Guillemots are dark chocolate brown but razorbills, like puffins, should be black. My monitor's calibrated but it's possible that it looks black on yours Mike, monitors being the fickle things that they are.

Have you tried some (very) local dodging on the eye? It'll be tough to see though as there's no catchlight.

I hope you can pull it back because it's a very characterful shot.

nice mike

I think you've done a good job. Not sure if it's my eyes, or the screen, but the blacks look like they have a little blue tint to them. Was this fella sat on the rocks as you go up the stairs at the landing spot on skomer island?

Well spotted Tony, I'm guessing you've been there and done the '87 steps'! You're also right on the blacks, I need to start from scratch I think

These are always tough to PP as their eyes are so small and difficult to see against their black plumage.

This looks to me to be a little more brown than black. Guillemots are dark chocolate brown but razorbills, like puffins, should be black. My monitor's calibrated but it's possible that it looks black on yours Mike, monitors being the fickle things that they are.

Have you tried some (very) local dodging on the eye? It'll be tough to see though as there's no catchlight.

I hope you can pull it back because it's a very characterful shot.

Thanks Russel, as above I'm not happy with this one yet, hence the request for help, so thanks for your comments. The sun was low and the colour temp was warm, and for some reason I can't get the blacks how I want them - if I go with using the pipette colour picker in lightroom, the faces go quite brown. I'll have a play with some selective de-saturation around the blacks and see what I can come up with

nice mike

(y) - Still keep meaning to come and have a look around this secret countryside area you have access to - you have been warned!

Back