Realistic difference between 10mm and 11mm

chris321

I like the ginger one
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the market for an ultra wide angle lens, I've got my heart set on the Sigma 10-20, but I've seen a Tamron 11-18 for a good price. I've been reading up all about it, seen all the figures about viewing angles, and a 10% difference here and there, but could anyone point me to a link showing 2 photos taken in the same location, one with 10mm, and one at 11mm?!

The figures are all well and good, but I want to know if the Sigma's 1mm is worth the extra cash I'll have to spend or not, and I can only really do that by looking at the shots! Thanks a lot,

Chris

Wow, thanks a lot for that! Just had a quick read through, to be honest I was hoping it would slate the Tamron so it would simplify my decision, but unfortunately it made it out to be fairly good! Hmmmm choices choices!!!!

Chris

I'd already read up on the Tamron before i posted telling you about it. I was close to getting it and the reviews were pretty good, but my hearts on the Tokina 11-16. To be honest for the price he is asking for an ultra-wide im surprised it hasnt gone.

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 is very sharp and very good. 12mm is not as wide as 10mm but IQ is much better that Sigma.

If I can get 5D then this may as well have to go (40D + 12-24mm = 5D price). 24mm on FF will be wide enough for most things.

I was set on a Sigma 10-20 after borrowing a friends however the reviews of the Tokina 11-16 swayed my decision, and whilst it meant having to get new (they seem to be very rare used), and imported, I have not regretted it. Fantastic lens.
11mm is fine, if I find myself needing 10mm I step back a couple of feet :D

Please PLEASE take everything K Rockw*ll says with a huge pinch of salt. He is not as knowledgeabe as he makes out. It's quite well known across many forums (Photo.net for example) that he's an over opinionated money making machine.

Regarding your original question I hardly think there will be much difference. I used to own the Sigma 10-20mm and I couldn't fault it. Just remember that you will nearly always be using your wide angle zoom lens at its widest setting so its performance at 10mm/11mm is what to look for. Performance at the 18/20mm end isn't so critical.

From Bob Atkins:

APS-C Horizontal field of view at 100ft 10mm = 225ft 11mm = 204ft 12mm= 187ft

Back