Recent Wedding Photos

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
Never being one to stand still with my development as a photographer-in-business, the last part of this year I started shooting and processing weddings slightly differently with a view to hopefully offering something of an improved set to couples. With this in mind I shot a wedding at Notley Abbey, being asked to cover groom prep through to formals only and here are a few images from that set. I'd be interested to receive some C&C. A fuller story with more pics is shown here in the blog.

Thank you.

IMG_2779 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

IMG_3287 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

IMG_3414 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

IMG_3445 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

IMG_5108 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

Great set, i do wonder if the ring shot #1 would be better with bride/groom in the bokeh. But great idea.

Great set, the first one is really creative; I've not seen a shot like that before but I like it

Thank you!

beautiful images

Cheers!

Really like these Marcus! Great stuff mate.

Out of curiosity, what would you say are the main changes you've made?

Thanks Danny. Changes... little more care over composition, with a view to breaking the rules, looking for the abstract a little more. Also to take more care over people and group shot posing and positioning. Have been working hard mastering lightroom to invoke a different processing style than I have before, with a view to matching a processing to each weddings style rather than having a 'standard' preset. I feel i still have a long way to go, but every set gives me the confidence to try something different.

Great set, i do wonder if the ring shot #1 would be better with bride/groom in the bokeh. But great idea.

Thanks! This was taken at groom prep before the ceremony, a lot of couples don't like taking the rings off after the ceremony, say it's bad luck or something.

OK, very much FWIW ...

#1 In a word, "meh". I've seen worse and I've seen better, but frankly I never did get the point of The Artistic Shot Of The Rings. I really worked at them in our first year, but then realised that our customers didn't seem to give a toss about them. I was bored witness doing them anyhow, so the next 350+ couples we worked for didn't get the picture. And if any of 'em noticed, nobody ever said anything.

#2 AFAIC all that's "wrong" with that is the b & g are arse about face to what they should be and I'd zap that black spot above her on the right in the Inca shawl.

#3 Not the sort of thing we used to do, but if it was I'd be happy with that one apart from the green wossname on top of the headlamp. A trad wedding snapper would say that the girls would have been better arranged tallest > shortest from left > right, but ... :rolleyes:

#4 Close to being as good as that shot ever gets and the expressions are well caught. You'd have got 10 more points if it was less of a bullseye i.e. they were just a bit higher in the frame.

#5 Nice, but I'm just wondering if you'd have got better separation of couple from background if all that light foliage just to the right of centre was quietened down a bit. But who knows without trying it ...

I'll have a squint at the full works in a bit.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Thanks Danny. Changes... little more care over composition, with a view to breaking the rules, looking for the abstract a little more. Also to take more care over people and group shot posing and positioning. Have been working hard mastering lightroom to invoke a different processing style than I have before, with a view to matching a processing to each weddings style rather than having a 'standard' preset. I feel i still have a long way to go, but every set gives me the confidence to try something different.

Thanks! This was taken at groom prep before the ceremony, a lot of couples don't like taking the rings off after the ceremony, say it's bad luck or something.

Thanks for the insight mate - whatever your doing different it's certainly works IMO.

Admire you for adapting your overall editing style to suit the occasion too - brave move with loads of extra work but it'll pay off.

Have been working hard mastering lightroom to invoke a different processing style than I have before, with a view to matching a processing to each weddings style rather than having a 'standard' preset.

Been thinking about that, young feller, and I wonder if it might bite you in the bum. I could well have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but isn't there a danger that your blog/portfolio/samples might end up looking all over the shop processing-wise? And what if the way you process a wedding isn't what the couple were expecting, based on what they liked when they booked you?

But whatever, about that blog post of yours ...

You've got some nice snaps in there, despite some of them being way too contrived/corny/dated for my taste. Procession shot's lovely, and the dreaded faked signing's done as well as any punter has a right to expect. Was the paper planes confetti-substitute shot down to your consummate skill and perfect timing, or just luck and a quick burst?

That ring on finger shot is well caught, but next time you're lined up like that and you realise you have a significant player in the background, shoot it like you did then instantly rotate to portrait and see if that works like it usually does ;)

Ref the couple going walkies snaps, are they all long shots, or just these three in the blog post?

Funnily enough, the only two I'd have binned as soon as I saw them are the second one in and the second to last. I'd wager a quid any day that 95% of people looking at the murky road and hedge picture will be thinking "wtf?", and the second to last is proof that any picture dominated by an OOF subject that's also blown out will always look like one of Uncle Bob's.

On the strength of that blog post, you seem to be far happier when you're in control of things to a greater or lesser extent, but I'm sure the PJ/Reportidge™ will catch up as you get more experience. Meanwhile, you might usefully work on checking your backgrounds more before pressing that button. I'm guessing that you were very limited as to where you could stand during the ceremony (because if you weren't, I don't really understand why you were where you were at times), but even so, a bit more care/experience would have easily improved matters in, for example, both shots of the reading and the first one of the vows.

One final thought. Given that you're OK with the setup shots, don't forget that there's no reason why you can't influence the informal stuff when it'd make your life easier or improve the snap you're after ... ;)

HTH a bit.

Thanks Dan as always for the comments, all our time is precious and for you to spend time to go in to this detail is always very much appreciated, in fact I was hoping you would post some comments up. As always with any C&C I don't generally agree with some, however completely see where you are coming from with your comments. I wish my original wedding mentor was as meticulous as you regarding detail and will note a lot of what you have said for my Friday wedding this week.

In a nutshell I feel comfortable enough now to 'dare to be a bit different', however still like to have a bit of fun and ensure that I'm meeting the overall brief of the couples requirements, which will involve a bit of cliche/cheese/contrived/etc I guess. Even when I've been shooting weddings for 10 years+ still want to feel like there is always something new to learn, otherwise shoot me dead like the old stuck in a rut horse I've become.

Thank you Dan. Very much appreciated.

You're very welcome Marcus. The only thing that saved us from languishing in complete mediocrity after our first year or so was some honest critique of the crap we were turning out, after which we became huge fans of the process.

It's nice to be able to pay back a little of what we got from others :)

... Even when I've been shooting weddings for 10 years+ still want to feel like there is always something new to learn

Well, we only just managed the 10 years of it, and we were certainly still learning!

If I had to be picky:

image 2) I guess you were limited by where you could shoot from (ie upstairs window?) but my eye is drawn to the drainpipes in the background and the manhole cover in the foreground (people do say I have gutter humour)

image 3) I'm not the first one to mention this, but it looks like the headlamp has a post box fixed to it.... I don't know who chose the car, but it is horrid, horrid, horrid.

Those comments aside, I think the couple should be very pleased with them. I do like the idea with the rings.

Had a quick flick through the blog and hopefully this won't come across too harsh but I'm very sleep deprived at the moment so tact goes out of the window when I'm shattered. For me there's far too much 'cheese', groom holding bouquet, picking up bride, waving all in the car, the groom and his groomsmen where the groom looks like he's doing a poo in his pants etc etc... I'd much rather see you looking for good angles, capturing more natural shots than the posed and quite cheesy shots.

There are parts where you've done that but to me there needs to be cut down on what I would call daft images and more focus on the romance if the day and the way naturally things unfold. There's a lot of posed shots where it seems to me like you've gone 'not sure what to do, erm ok do something 'quirky'.

Processing looks good, technique looks good so it's more a case of being a bit more 'classy' in the type of shots you choose to take, 1 and 5 for example in your post hit this mark for me, 4 doesn't but could easily have done if the couple were doing something romantic instead of looking at the camera smiling.

Hope that's not too harsh, apologies if so, became a dad for the 1st time a week ago and haven't slept since :D

Ring shot. Sorry, doesn’t do a thing for me. Why hang them on a tree?

Shot 2. On the whole not a bad shot, but you should have repositioned the groom’s mother.

Shot 4. Her hand looks very uncomfortable - or missing finger tips. You should have spotted this.

Shot 5 is nice, but I think the conversion is a little heavy.

I’ve had a look at the blog, and I have to agree with Andy. It does look like you are reverting to cheesy (almost 90s style) shots when you run out of ideas. Keep at it. :)

If I had to be picky:

image 2) I guess you were limited by where you could shoot from (ie upstairs window?) but my eye is drawn to the drainpipes in the background and the manhole cover in the foreground (people do say I have gutter humour)

image 3) I'm not the first one to mention this, but it looks like the headlamp has a post box fixed to it.... I don't know who chose the car, but it is horrid, horrid, horrid.

Those comments aside, I think the couple should be very pleased with them. I do like the idea with the rings.

Thank you! The car is THE Notley Abbey car and the couple would have had full access to drive and park this where they like however it had broken down so it was parked here for the day.

Had a quick flick through the blog and hopefully this won't come across too harsh but I'm very sleep deprived at the moment so tact goes out of the window when I'm shattered. For me there's far too much 'cheese', groom holding bouquet, picking up bride, waving all in the car, the groom and his groomsmen where the groom looks like he's doing a poo in his pants etc etc... I'd much rather see you looking for good angles, capturing more natural shots than the posed and quite cheesy shots.

There are parts where you've done that but to me there needs to be cut down on what I would call daft images and more focus on the romance if the day and the way naturally things unfold. There's a lot of posed shots where it seems to me like you've gone 'not sure what to do, erm ok do something 'quirky'.

Processing looks good, technique looks good so it's more a case of being a bit more 'classy' in the type of shots you choose to take, 1 and 5 for example in your post hit this mark for me, 4 doesn't but could easily have done if the couple were doing something romantic instead of looking at the camera smiling.

Hope that's not too harsh, apologies if so, became a dad for the 1st time a week ago and haven't slept since :D

Hi Andy and congrats on your new bab. Hope all is going well. As long as the C&C is valid I'm happy for a bit of blunt, which from you it deffo is and thanks for taking the time to post. The hard thing always with the blog is trying to tell a mini story whilst showcasing your work plus trying to give the B&G + family and friends a flavour of the day. Comments noted and thanks again. Will think about the full set and see whether I'm taking a lot of cheese, or just showcasing a lot of cheese.

Ring shot. Sorry, doesn’t do a thing for me. Why hang them on a tree?

Shot 2. On the whole not a bad shot, but you should have repositioned the groom’s mother.

Shot 4. Her hand looks very uncomfortable - or missing finger tips. You should have spotted this.

Shot 5 is nice, but I think the conversion is a little heavy.

I’ve had a look at the blog, and I have to agree with Andy. It does look like you are reverting to cheesy (almost 90s style) shots when you run out of ideas. Keep at it. :)

Ring shot - you're kidding right?

As for your other comments, thanks for taking the time to post.

Will think about the full set and see whether I'm taking a lot of cheese, or just showcasing a lot of cheese.

Hmmm. There's a point. I've assumed all along that you're aiming/catering for the punters who want corny/cheesey and/or that's what you either want to do or feel happiest doing. Or maybe what you feel you ought to be doing because that's what people expect wedding snappers to do, right? (Wrong, actually - but never mind.)

For the record, I've always hated cheese but I've always had a great admiration for those who do trad wedding photography well. To my way of thinking, though, cheese and trad are two separate things ...

Ring shot - you're kidding right?

Ummm - no. I think ring shots are old fashioned. I am also of the opinion that the rings will be worn day in day out by the B&G, so why bother shooting them? You don't have to do it just because everyone else does. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Ummm - no. I think ring shots are old fashioned. I am also of the opinion that the rings will be worn day in day out by the B&G, so why bother shooting them? You don't have to do it just because everyone else does. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I will never not shoot a ring shot of some kind, as sods law dictates the next wedding I don't the bride and groom will ask why I didn't. And if you're gonna do it, yes get the very standard ring shot but also one with a bit of flair.

Just out of interest, when you shoot weddings do you always miss this out?

I will never not shoot a ring shot of some kind, as sods law dictates the next wedding I don't the bride and groom will ask why I didn't. And if you're gonna do it, yes get the very standard ring shot but also one with a bit of flair.

Just out of interest, when you shoot weddings do you always miss this out?

Sounds wise.

I only do a few weddings a year, but I've stopped shooting ring shots, yes.

I will never not shoot a ring shot of some kind, as sods law dictates the next wedding I don't the bride and groom will ask why I didn't.

Erm ... if you always shoot a ring shot, punters will see them on your blog or whatever, so they'll expect you to shoot one at their wedding. If you don't, they won't.

At least that's what we found.

But hey, it's your business Marcus, so if you're happy doing them (or cheese, or even spot colour come to that) and your customers love you for it, it's all good :)

Last edited:
Erm ... if you always shoot a ring shot, punters will see them on your blog or whatever, so they'll expect you to shoot one at their wedding. If you don't, they won't.

At least that's what we found.

But hey, it's your business Marcus, so if you're happy doing them (or cheese, or even spot colour come to that) and your customers love you for it, it's all good :)

2015 is a new year and the objective is to stop and have a think about style, delivery, etc, business is good but as always could be better. Thinking about the cheese, trad, etc is something to have a ponder over. Spot colour however is fighting talk, there are some things I just won't do unless directly asked and even then will attempt everything to keep it offline. Thanks Dan.

...Thinking about the cheese, trad, etc is something to have a ponder over ...

Indeed. Don't forget that cheese and trad are two separate things. Trad doesn't have to include Groom And Ushers Using Bride As Battering Ram, Blokes Leaping Into Air For No Obvious Reason, Entire Wedding Party Holding Hands And Running Across Field Towards Camera With Fattest One Trailing Behind and so forth. The only potential problem is that punters who are after a more trad approach to their wedding snaps might tend to be drawn towards the dated stuff 'cos that's what their mums had, but you can always educate the buggers :rolleyes:

Spot colour ... I just won't do unless directly asked

And rightly so. If asked, just say "You do realise that a baby bunny dies every time a photographer does spot colour ...?"

And rightly so. If asked, just say "You do realise that a baby bunny dies every time a photographer does spot colour ...?"

My name is Marcus and I am a photographer... my confession is that I killed one baby bunny this year. I tried and tried to contain the disgust in my voice and face when I was asked, I tried politely to use technical arguments over why it would work, but they inisted and at the end of the day they were paying for it, so it happened. I apologise to the mother of the baby bunny.... :oops: :$ :eek::coat:

I pretty much agree with all of Dan's opening comments, just to add...

I gave up on ring shots last year, no-one's ever mentioned them, so this year I sold the macro too (that's all I used it for !!!). Whenver a rings shot did make the album it was only ever a tiny detail, so if its wanted at all now I just use the 50mm or mid range zoom and crop the bugger

In 4 though - hands !!! His is a huge spider looking thing being both the back of his hand flat and fingers spread, her's looks like she's had a bad accident and lost her fingers from the first joint onwards; just a bit more care there and it'd have been a cracking shot :)

Daryl likes his cheese but like Dan's examples in post 22 I'd try to avoid them if you can. A local to me still does the peering around trees shot too, defo one to miss out even if they ask you can always 'forget' to shoot it lol

As for colour popping - I've done one this year by specific demand only though :D

Dave

I pretty much agree with all of Dan's opening comments, just to add...

I gave up on ring shots last year, no-one's ever mentioned them, so this year I sold the macro too (that's all I used it for !!!). Whenver a rings shot did make the album it was only ever a tiny detail, so if its wanted at all now I just use the 50mm or mid range zoom and crop the bugger

In 4 though - hands !!! His is a huge spider looking thing being both the back of his hand flat and fingers spread, her's looks like she's had a bad accident and lost her fingers from the first joint onwards; just a bit more care there and it'd have been a cracking shot :)

Daryl likes his cheese but like Dan's examples in post 22 I'd try to avoid them if you can. A local to me still does the peering around trees shot too, defo one to miss out even if they ask you can always 'forget' to shoot it lol

As for colour popping - I've done one this year by specific demand only though :D

Dave

Thanks Dave. I tend to use what is ever on the camera for the ring shots which is a mix of the 35mm 1.4 or the 85mm 1.2, will prob keep at these at least for the moment. Hands, yes agree could be better, they were indeed posed correctly but they kept moving them, need to move hands then hypnotise the couple quickly to have no free will of their own. Appreciate the time for you to post mate, very much appreciated.

By the way has anyone ever said that your avatar pic makes you look like Louis Walsh? :banana:

A local to me still does the peering around trees shot too

Dave, you've just reminded me that I once heard of a snapper up your way who took a galvanised bucket with him to every wedding. No, it wasn't for a "fun" shot of the groom with his bride illustrating the Bucket Method of contraception, but rather he'd empty half a dozen boxes of confetti into it, give it to the best man, and instruct him to run towards the couple as they posed for a formal shot and pretend to hurl the contents (which would apparently be presumed to be water) at them "for a laugh"...

Dave, you've just reminded me that I once heard of a snapper up your way who took a galvanised bucket with him to every wedding. No, it wasn't for a "fun" shot of the groom with his bride illustrating the Bucket Method of contraception, but rather he'd empty half a dozen boxes of confetti into it, give it to the best man, and instruct him to run towards the couple as they posed for a formal shot and pretend to hurl the contents (which would apparently be presumed to be water) at them "for a laugh"...

You can't beat up norff for pure class mate :D

Dave

#2 have you boosted the saturation or the red channel ? - the grooms face looks a bit pink and the girl on the far right has insanely red lipstick which draws the eye way from the centre

#2 have you boosted the saturation or the red channel ? - the grooms face looks a bit pink and the girl on the far right has insanely red lipstick which draws the eye way from the centre

What more than the big red shawl the grooms mother has over her shoulder?

the big red shawl is expected to be red - the girls lipstick shouldn't be that vibrant and imo that what draws the eye (or may be i'm just given to looking at pretty girls ;) ) - however my basic point was that a lot of the faces look a bit pink in that shot (but not in the others) which makes me wonder if you over cooked the red saturation in PP

the big red shawl is expected to be red - the girls lipstick shouldn't be that vibrant and imo that what draws the eye (or may be i'm just given to looking at pretty girls ;) ) - however my basic point was that a lot of the faces look a bit pink in that shot (but not in the others) which makes me wonder if you over cooked the red saturation in PP

The shot has a slightly higher lift in the shadows only than the others, which may have brought out the pink more in the faces. As for the girls lipstick, I seem to remember it was a very vibrant red and she was quite a striking looking lady (with a DSLR I might add). Your eye might be drawn to her for other reasons than her lippy! Thanks Pete for taking time to comment fella.

Nice, just had a quick look through. Not a lot to add that hasn't already been said.

There are a couple that I really like, the one with the stairs in the foreground on the way to the ceremony, and the one of them holding hands to the right of the frame with the glass table to the left. Both well seen and captured, however it doesn't seem to tie in with some of the other more posed shots.

Nothing against the posed ones at all as everybody has their own styles, but you obviously have an eye for more arty shots so maybe worth exploring that a little more.

I'd be interested to know which are your 3 personal favourites from that blog? (not the ones you think brides want to see but from a purely selfish photographers point of view)

Nice, just had a quick look through. Not a lot to add that hasn't already been said.

There are a couple that I really like, the one with the stairs in the foreground on the way to the ceremony, and the one of them holding hands to the right of the frame with the glass table to the left. Both well seen and captured, however it doesn't seem to tie in with some of the other more posed shots.

Nothing against the posed ones at all as everybody has their own styles, but you obviously have an eye for more arty shots so maybe worth exploring that a little more.

I'd be interested to know which are your 3 personal favourites from that blog? (not the ones you think brides want to see but from a purely selfish photographers point of view)

Thanks Tom and/or Liam. I like the arty shots and include a fair amount in the full set, however couples want a record of the day plus posed shots then I guess it's down to the photographers interpretation on how that's all done. Sometimes the requested shots or ones that you consider 'should' be included may contrast on the arty side, but part of my development as a photographer it to try and make it all look seamless as a set whilst pleasing the couple. For example it was mentioned above about not using the bride as a battering ram, however they just ran over from their requested grooms formal shot, grabbed the bride, picked her up and said 'take it before we drop her!' This is one of the shots they were looking forward to seeing.

My faves from the blog?

No.16 - the hand holding the opened out order of service - which doubles up as the aeroplane for the confetti shot. Love the texture and muted colours in this shot, plus it forms a record of their day.

No.28 - Holding hands with the glass table and bouquet in shot. Grab shot, hopefully shows some of the emotion from the day.

No.42 - Low contrast black and white looking down the tree lined lane, of them holding hands facing each leaning away. This was not a posed shot, this was a light test shot prior to them being posed.

For example it was mentioned above about not using the bride as a battering ram, however they just ran over from their requested grooms formal shot, grabbed the bride, picked her up and said 'take it before we drop her!' This is one of the shots they were looking forward to seeing.

Which AFAIC is fair enough - but the trick is not to put that shot on your blog or in whatever passes for your online portfolio. Take the cheese/corn as well as the trad shots by all means if it makes the buggers happy, but if all your prospective customers see it, they'll keep on wanting you to take that stuff. And believe me you'll get sick of doing it because you'll want to develop your "classic" trad.

In general, you book the punters who want what you show.

Which AFAIC is fair enough - but the trick is not to put that shot on your blog or in whatever passes for your online portfolio. Take the cheese/corn as well as the trad shots by all means if it makes the buggers happy, but if all your prospective customers see it, they'll keep on wanting you to take that stuff. And believe me you'll get sick of doing it because you'll want to develop your "classic" trad.

In general, you book the punters who want what you show.

Damn i best remove that bride in a wineglass and congregation chased by t rex from my portfolio :whistle:

Like the shots :) ..always read other people's comments who seem to have good honest advice but I'd be happy if these were mine haha! Like the processing also :)

Thanks Tom and/or Liam. I like the arty shots and include a fair amount in the full set, however couples want a record of the day plus posed shots then I guess it's down to the photographers interpretation on how that's all done. Sometimes the requested shots or ones that you consider 'should' be included may contrast on the arty side, but part of my development as a photographer it to try and make it all look seamless as a set whilst pleasing the couple. For example it was mentioned above about not using the bride as a battering ram, however they just ran over from their requested grooms formal shot, grabbed the bride, picked her up and said 'take it before we drop her!' This is one of the shots they were looking forward to seeing.

My faves from the blog?

No.16 - the hand holding the opened out order of service - which doubles up as the aeroplane for the confetti shot. Love the texture and muted colours in this shot, plus it forms a record of their day.

No.28 - Holding hands with the glass table and bouquet in shot. Grab shot, hopefully shows some of the emotion from the day.

No.42 - Low contrast black and white looking down the tree lined lane, of them holding hands facing each leaning away. This was not a posed shot, this was a light test shot prior to them being posed.

Hey, sorry its taken a while to reply I forgot about this.

I'd actually agree with your favourites along with a couple of extras. I think Dan has actually made my point above in that whatever you showcase will attract clients who want more of the same. I think if you were to remove some of the posed shots, you'd attract people who have a similar style to the photos that you want to be taking. You may like the posed shots in which case I 100% respect that and I'll shut up, I just got the feeling that from some of your shots in the blog (and indeed your own favourites), you're a little wasted doing traditional poses and have an eye for some really cool shots.

We made the decision to have the blog on our site purely for our own advertising. This wasn't for the B&G, there are no formal shots or staged shots. They are made aware of this and have no problem at all with it. We try to put our most creative stuff here as its advertising the kind of weddings we want to be shooting. The B&G get their own gallery with the formals and staged shots in (if requested). That way, a lot of our clients next year don't even want an all guest group photo or any kind of staged groups. Result!

Last edited:
I really like these, Marcus. Definitely something I aspire to. The fact that there are a lot of posed, set-up stuff I guess is your choice. If you and your clients like that sort of thing, then that's what works for your style/business model I guess. I really do like the processing and framing in 3 and 4 here. As others have mentioned, I am unsure how tailoring the processing to each wedding will look if you had a portfolio of images from different weddings, but it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Bottom line, much better than I can do, but they are really good IMO.

Back