Recommend an affordable Astro-photography lens for a 6D

Name
Jordan
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning all,

I'm just dipping my toe in the world of DSLR's after purchasing a 6D, I've always had a keen interest in astronomy and I'd like to try my hand a photographing the Milky Way - As such, I am looking for recommendations which people have for suitable lenses for this purpose.

I've researched a little, and the lens of choice seems to be the 'Rokinon 24mm F/1.4 Aspherical Wide Angle Lens' (Approx £400 on a well known auction website).
Does anyone else have any recommendations for suitable (affordable!) glass for astro-photography?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply,
Jordan

You could try the 14mm F2.8 by the same manufacturer (samyang/rokinon) google "lonely speck" for a review and lots of other info but they will say that the 24mm 1.4 is a better option.

Tim

The 14mm is a better bet. The extra field of view allows you a bit more latitude with composition.

No doubt, the Samyang / Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 is the best option.

What about the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, wide and fast and should be good for the Milky Way!

The samyang unless you are looking to spend for a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. Everything else is a long way of the mark around this price.
The OP owns a Canon EOS 6D, so any Nikon lens will be of no use for him. (Though there are adapters that allow mounting Nikon lenses to Canon bodies...)

The OP owns a Canon EOS 6D, so any Nikon lens will be of no use for him. (Though there are adapters that allow mounting Nikon lenses to Canon bodies...)
As long as the Nikon mount lens has a manual aperture ring, all is good (with a Nik-Eos adapter)

Bob

Back