Recommend me a tripod

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
My old tripod has given up on me so it's time to invest in a new one.

I've narrowed it down to Benro, Manfrotto and Gitzo, which I know are all highly though of. The question is, which one do I go for, or what should I be looking out for when I go looking?

I mostly shoot with a Fuji XT1, so no need for a huge weight capacity, and I'd like something relatively small for travel, but also very sturdy for seascapes? Is there such a thing as a light but sturdy tripod?

Also how much of a difference does a good tripod head make? Ideally I'd like to buy it all in one, but I understand some prefer to buy them separate?

Thanks!

My old tripod has given up on me so it's time to invest in a new one.

I've narrowed it down to Benro, Manfrotto and Gitzo, which I know are all highly though of. The question is, which one do I go for, or what should I be looking out for when I go looking?

I mostly shoot with a Fuji XT1, so no need for a huge weight capacity, and I'd like something relatively small for travel, but also very sturdy for seascapes? Is there such a thing as a light but sturdy tripod?

Yes. Gitzo is head and shoulders above most others - on price too. Look at Gitzo Travellers.

Also how much of a difference does a good tripod head make? Ideally I'd like to buy it all in one, but I understand some prefer to buy them separate?

Thanks!

A great deal of difference. It's the main user-interface, the bit you actually work with - at least as important as the tripod itself. My favourite is the Arca-Swiss P0, superb head, though the design means it's best with an L-bracket that may not suit your X-T1. Sunwayfoto DB44 is more conventional, also excellent and well priced. From CameragearUK, good e bay supplier.

If you definitely want one from the makes you have listed, fine but if not, then have a look at Redsnapper http://www.redsnapperuk.com/ . Quite a few on here use Redsnapper, and also check out Sirui tripods - some good reviews on line.

Dave

If you definitely want one from the makes you have listed, fine but if not, then have a look at Redsnapper http://www.redsnapperuk.com/ . Quite a few on here use Redsnapper, and also check out Sirui tripods - some good reviews on line.

Dave

It's not so much that I'm pining for a particular brand, it's just the only ones that are freely available out here.

Redsnapper don't seem to have a distributor here unfortunately - thanks anyway.

I'd recommend the Vanguard Altro Pro.
Look at my one for sale in the classified section :)

Back