Recommend me a UWA!

Name
They call me Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm toying with the idea of plumping for a UWA lens as I'm starting to hit the limitations of the kit lens at its widest :(

I've seen reviews and images of the Canon 10-22 and Siggy 10-20, but I've now come across the Tamron 11-18 (courtesty of paleblue) and the Tokina 11-16 second hand that looks it may be a nice addition to my kit.

Now the reviews on the Tokina seem favourable, but why should I go out tomorrow and look at it (other than the fact it'll be a nice new toy to play with)?

Now, do I hire the Canon or Siggy from StewartR to see what use I'll get from a wide angle (knowing that there are other lenses around)?

Or because I'm still undecided do I hold back for a while until I'm a bit more sure of what use it will get?

I imagine most of its use will be landscapes and buildings, but I could also get something a bit funky from close-ups with practise. What else is there available for under £400 (prepared to go used as well)?

I think you've answered your own questions as you've gone along. :) I'm pretty much in the same position and have booked to hire the Canon 10-22 for a week from StewartR. Recently, perhaps the last four years, I've lost interest in landscapes but I live in such a stunning area that I think I should at least try.

The canon 10-22 is generally rated as better than the sigma 10-20 but is quite a bit more pricey. For me (and a lot of other people) the little improvement you get really isn't worse the extra cash.

The Tokina 11-16mm would be my choice because of the f2.8 aperture meaning you can take low light/indoor photos without flash. Plus, reviews rate it as very sharp.

If the wide aperture is not important to you, or you need the greater range, then the Canon 10-22mm is very highly rated. I have seen mixed reports on the Sigma 10-20mm (softness) but it is cheaper, so if you are on a tight budget and you can find a sharp copy it could be an option.

Ive noticed that alot of people on here and other forums are selling their Sigma 10-20. Not sure why, bu i woud hazard a guess at some better UWA lenses available at not much more money
The Tokina is definately on my list to get, OK its only a 5mm range, but at f/2.8 it sure makes up for it.,

The thing to remember about UWA is the 'Ultra'.
You will get a lot in the photo but with landscapes (dending on how close you are), with mountains for instance, they may not look as tall because your maximum zoom is 22mm with the Canon.

Here is an example of one of mine.
3682256204_64d695a713.jpg

In this case I wanted as much as the New York City skyline as I could sqeeze in along with the sea and the sky.
I love my Canon 10-22 but I don't always use it for landscapes as it depends what I want from the shot.

Ive noticed that alot of people on here and other forums are selling their Sigma 10-20. Not sure why, bu i woud hazard a guess at some better UWA lenses available at not much more money
The Tokina is definately on my list to get, OK its only a 5mm range, but at f/2.8 it sure makes up for it.,

In my oppinion the Canon is the best followed by the Sigma then the rest follow for sharpness across the focal range.

I'm selling my Sigma because I just found that I never used it & I'm adding a FF camera to my 'armoury'. I think there is a bit of a novelty factor to UWA lens that wears off after a while and it wasn't really suitable, for my needs, as a walkaround. I think that is the main reason for people selling them. Out of all the crop UWA's the Sigma is probably the best value for what you get.

I love my Tokina, ultra sharp and f/2.8 comes in handy. I looked at them all and plumped for this baby as I already have lenses from 17mm up.

In my oppinion the Canon is the best followed by the Sigma then the rest follow for sharpness across the focal range.

I disagree, both Tokinas (11-16 and the 12-24) are sharper than the sigma, and better all round.

I'm selling my Sigma because I just found that I never used it & I'm adding a FF camera to my 'armoury'. I think there is a bit of a novelty factor to UWA lens that wears off after a while and it wasn't really suitable, for my needs, as a walkaround. I think that is the main reason for people selling them. Out of all the crop UWA's the Sigma is probably the best value for what you get.

I think a lot of people don't realise how to use them properly, they are not for shooting that mountain range in the distance, but for getting a sense of scale by sticking a large foreground in the shot too.:)

To the OP: You may be interested in this review (by me) of the 12-24 http://wildaboutlife.net/wp/archives/136 . IMO you should go for either the Canon or the two sigmas depending on what you can afford (and if you want f/2.8 whilst sacrificing some zoom range).:)

Back