recommend me a zoom lens upto 70mm ish

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all just changed to fx and just wodered if anyone could recommend me a decent priced zoom lens upto 70mm ish cheers as i already have a TAMRON 70-300MM F4-5.6 DI for that range

Last edited:
Tamron 28-75 F2.8 without the built in motor,works superbly on my D800. A lot cheaper than a new Nikon 24-70 and even cheaper than an old 28-70. Build quality nowhere near as good, but IQ is very good indeed.

Sample:

Red Squirrel Nov 6 by Fracster, on Flickr

Tamron 28-75 F2.8 without the built in motor,works superbly on my D800. A lot cheaper than a new Nikon 24-70 and even cheaper than an old 28-70. Build quality nowhere near as good, but IQ is very good indeed.

Sample:

Red Squirrel Nov 6 by Fracster, on Flickr
Got mine for £120 off this forum. Lives on my D700. But also there's the nikkor 35-70 f/2.8. Sharp, but needs a bit of added contrast in post.

how do you know if its got the inbuilt motor or not,looks a decent lens for the money

thanks ade is that a fx lens
Absolutely yes, it is currently my only mid range zoom. Had the Nikon 28-70,35-70, sold them both when I got this lens. It is always in my bag.

how do you know if its got the inbuilt motor or not,looks a decent lens for the money
Not 100% sure.

@Gary Coyle will know.

Just googled this, so get one without the IF in it.

The 28-75's full product name is "Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens" and requires an abbreviation key for many of us ...

SP - Super Performance (Tamron's highest quality lens line)
AF - Autofocus
XR - Extra Refractive Glass (reduces lens size)
Di - Digitally Integrated Design (to reduce ghosting, flare, CA and peripheral light fall-off along with improved resolution)
LD - Low-Dispersion lens elements (to reduce chromatic aberration for sharper images)
Aspherical - contains aspherical elements (compensates for spherical aberration and distortion, making for better performance with fewer elements (and thus allowing for smaller, lighter lenses)
(IF) - Internal Focusing

@iwols added a bit for you.

Last edited:
That's an incredibly cheap price. A proper bargain as they tend to go for around 200!!
I got mine for £105 by buying an old film SLR off eBay that came with the lens, then flogging the SLR afterwards :)

But anyway, as I don't shoot much in the range of 28-70, it doesn't make sense to have a really expensive lens, so this one does the trick for when I do need it!

I concur, great lens, if your body has a focus motor then get the lens WITHOUT the focus motor ie with the aperture ring

thanks guys can only find ones without the aperture ring is this a problem cheers

thanks guys can only find ones without the aperture ring is this a problem cheers

Doubt it. There's talk about the ones without motors being better, but I'm not sure why. I assumed that Tamron just added a motor, and removed the aperture ring.

I did have a previous copy of the 28-75 F2.8 that was not good. A bit smeary down the RH side. Needed F/11 before it behaved!

Current copy is good though, and will be staying for a while.

Doubt it. There's talk about the ones without motors being better, but I'm not sure why. I assumed that Tamron just added a motor, and removed the aperture ring.

I did have a previous copy of the 28-75 F2.8 that was not good. A bit smeary down the RH side. Needed F/11 before it behaved!

Current copy is good though, and will be staying for a while.
I've used both.

Optically not much in it. It was the speed of focus. Faster/better with the non bim on my d800.

is yours the one with motor rob
No. Both my copies have been non-BIM versions.
I do find that non BIM versions of the lens tend to focus faster. I had a 50mm 1.4 in both G and D variants. The D was much snappier in the focus department.

Last edited:
If the budget stretches to it the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC has got a very favourable revues out performing most similar lens in this focal range.

If the budget stretches to it the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC has got a very favourable revues out performing most similar lens in this focal range.
I've just bought one of these myself and can confirm it is a cracking lens.

Back