Critique Red Arrows (Pic Heavy)

Edit My Images
Yes
I was fortunate enough to have a day at RAF Scampton with the Red Arrows yesterday. I had 3 sorties, the first with the Synchro Pair, the second in a 5-ship and the third in the first full 9-ship display for the 2014 team.

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-2
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-4
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-5
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-32
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-33
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-34
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Red Arrows 4 Mar 14 (1 of 1)-35
by StampedeT2, on Flickr

I'm not one to say I hate someone but by god your a lucky guy ;) I suspect there's a hell of a lot of people that would love to be in your position seriously how epic is the timing of number 5

Got ENVY!!!!!! but great shots you lucky guy....... Do you mind if I link to your flickr account for some of my mates?

What a fantastic set, No 5 is perfect, 23-24-25-26 are really really good. I would hang all of them my wall...great stuff, luv it..very well done.

Green with envy here -- what an opportunity that you made the most of!!

Excellent pictures, really good - how on earth did you end up with them?

I don't usually look at threads which state "Picture heavy" but when I saw who the author was, I had to have a look. Very glad I did!

Unlike some, I'm very glad I wasn't in your shoes during the shooting of this set - I've seen someone throw up in a full face helmet!!! Fantastic set - another vote for #5 as a favourite.

Fantastic stuff as always Paul,you make everyone soo jealous. Numbers 17 and 19 for me as you must have been inverted to take them. You fell lucky with the weather also,there hasn't been much blue sky round here lately.( I only live 12 miles away from Scampton )

Not much to add, they look great.
Are they for publication somewhere?

Thanks for the great comments everyone. I admit that I'm really chuffed with the way these have turned out.

Got ENVY!!!!!! but great shots you lucky guy....... Do you mind if I link to your flickr account for some of my mates?

Please feel free to share the Flickr link around - no such thing as bad publicity!

Green with envy here -- what an opportunity that you made the most of!!

Excellent pictures, really good - how on earth did you end up with them?

The team have an open invitation to current fast jet aircrew to fly with them during the pre-season work up. As such this wasn't a dedicated shoot and captures the Team during routine business.

Fantastic stuff as always Paul,you make everyone soo jealous. Numbers 17 and 19 for me as you must have been inverted to take them. You fell lucky with the weather also,there hasn't been much blue sky round here lately.( I only live 12 miles away from Scampton )

17 and 19 were actually taken looking down through the side of the canopy in a similar position to that of Red 2 in shot #18.

Not much to add, they look great.
Are they for publication somewhere?

No takers for publication yet.

Regards,

Cheesy

The team have an open invitation to current fast jet aircrew to fly with them during the pre-season work up. As such this wasn't a dedicated shoot and captures the Team during routine business.

That makes the shots even better IMO. I thought they had been taken as a publicity type shoot rather than being shots of "routine business" and even as a set up shoot would have been exceptional! Do you enter any forces specific competitions?

Fantastic set, not jealous at all!!!
I can see some of these being published. I'm sure some the newspapers would publish some of these.
Great work at when can I have a go please

A great set of shots Paul....as per usual. Sat here looking at them thinking "I have a boring job"...lol

Always a pleasure seeing your images Paul, great set of images.
Slightly off-topic but I'd be interested in finding out the reason for the seals in the canopy being that shape - similar to a human pulse?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Really great to view Paul. Other than actually being a pilot with the Reds, this must be the next best thing.

Mind me asking what gear you used for these shots ? Can't imagine you had a Peli case in the cockpit with you :D

Fantastic set, not jealous at all!!!
I can see some of these being published. I'm sure some the newspapers would publish some of these.
Great work at when can I have a go please

I hadn't thought of that, would I just email links to picture editors?

Always a pleasure seeing your images Paul, great set of images.
Slightly off-topic but I'd be interested in finding out the reason for the seals in the canopy being that shape - similar to a human pulse?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Cheers Jeff. I think the piece of canopy that your referring to as canopy seal is actually the Miniature Detonating Cord that fractures the canopy to allow the seat through in the event of an ejection. If you look at image 30 you can see the detonator for the MDC over my right shoulder - it's the small red tab which blows the MDC as the seat starts to rise.

Really great to view Paul. Other than actually being a pilot with the Reds, this must be the next best thing.

Mind me asking what gear you used for these shots ? Can't imagine you had a Peli case in the cockpit with you :D

All of these shots were taken with an EOS 7D with battery grip (the extra weight is more than offset by the benefit of having that extra shutter release). The lens was a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. The majority of these images were taken under significant g which is where the weight of the DSLR is a distinct disadvantage. It's that point that makes my pilot experience valuable as I generally have an idea as to when a good image is coming up, when I need to brace for a bit of g during the shot and when I need to forget about taking pictures and concentrate on keeping some blood in my brain!

Regards,

Cheesy

Cheers Jeff. I think the piece of canopy that your referring to as canopy seal is actually the Miniature Detonating Cord that fractures the canopy to allow the seat through in the event of an ejection. If you look at image 30 you can see the detonator for the MDC over my right shoulder - it's the small red tab which blows the MDC as the seat starts to rise.

Thanks for the thorough explanation Paul. I suspected it may be related to ejection.

I thoroughly look forward to seeing your next sets of images!

Jeff.

I hadn't thought of that, would I just email links to picture editors?

I'm not sure, but guess that is how you would contact them. It must be worth a try?

All of these shots were taken with an EOS 7D with battery grip (the extra weight is more than offset by the benefit of having that extra shutter release). The lens was a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. The majority of these images were taken under significant g which is where the weight of the DSLR is a distinct disadvantage. It's that point that makes my pilot experience valuable as I generally have an idea as to when a good image is coming up, when I need to brace for a bit of g during the shot and when I need to forget about taking pictures and concentrate on keeping some blood in my brain!

Regards,

Cheesy

As ever, stunning shots Paul. #5 and #9 are my personal favourites. #9 puts me in mind of an older painting of a WW2 Spitfire sortie returning to base.

Back