Red Bull Air Race Day - total washout.

Edit My Images
Yes
Complete total wash out today. From the moment I got on site I knew that it was in for the day. Hammering down, very strong wind and in the end, aside from dual test flight no planes raced. The test flight saw the planes move somewhat in the air but the word in the media base and at the paddock was that the large inflatable cones used as markers were moving to much and was simply to dangerous.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

The wheather did not let up and got progressively worse and the decision to cancel the event was made at 4pm, which left many people angry and upset. Then it seemed to get tense as people were being squashed after getting caught in the mass exodus.

The police came in for some stick as did the red bull staff and people were being pulled from the crowd in quite a state. It was pretty tense with people rattling the fences. Several inspector grade Police folk arrived to try and appease/calm people.

26.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

23.jpg

Hopefully these images convey what a let down the day was. Last two are Pete that fella who won BB getting out on a golf buggy (not taken by me) and me back at the media base trying to warm up....looking chunky there but I did have about three layers on!!!

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

18.jpg

14.jpg

27.jpg

25.jpg

0.jpg

Good images. Great colour in all of them. Shame about the weather. I'd been debating going but decided not too.

really good shots, must have been a horrid feeling for the crouds when it was cancelled!

Amazing how you managed to get so much out of a cancelled event!

:)

Yea, in fact I think I way prefer these, rather than actual shots of swooping planes or whatever. :LOL:

Very interesting spread of shots and great commentary Diego. Your first set are top rate as usual mate....the rest are not far behind.

I'm quite pleased our party failed to get their now. lol ...although I’m sure I watched the highlights on TV yesterday...:shrug: ..don’t know what that was now..

fan-doobee-tastic. Shame the event was cancelled, but these are absolutely ace shots, very well controled DoF!
Thankyou for sharing :D

haha those are top class!!

Did Pete from Big Brother say ****ers?

just what I was thinking. Fantastic shots.

I had a ticket and was intending to go but have been keeping my eye on the forecasts the last few days. I made a couple of calls to people living to the south and west of Longleat on the Saturday morning and made the decision not to go.

Nice coverage of the event (or should that be non-event :( ), really like the 3rd shot - suppose for the competitors that must sum it up perfectly (y)

Excellent shots from the people, really shows that the weather did nothing to stop you making the best of a dull day :clap:

great shame it was cancelled, watched the quali(i think) on TV yesterday and came to the conclussion the pilots are nuts

did Pete off BB say anything like 'Wow*whistle*nutters!!*airplane noise*Meaw* ****ers!*toot? By far the best character in the house..

good set again though, well done for sticking it out for the day

Great shots Diego...

As a novice can I ask if these were all handheld? Look at the exif info, one or two are quite long exposures, but are still very sharp...Is this just down to good technique, IS lens or something else?

Secondly, looking at the shot of the guy with the head phones on, I notice thats at F2.8 and so is the next shot of the women in the red hood...How come the back ground in the second shot is more blurred? Is that to do with the focal length of the lens used or the distance between the back ground and the subject?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Secondly, looking at the shot of the guy with the head phones on, I notice thats at F2.8 and so is the next shot of the women in the red hood...How come the back ground in the second shot is more blurred? Is that to do with the focal length of the lens used or the distance between the back ground and the subject?

At F2.8 the depth of field is going to be very shallow, giving sharp features close to the focus point, but pretty much everything else will be blurred. S yes if the other objects in the field of view are further away from the main focus point they will appear far more out of focus than items closer. As in the unbrellas are all pretty close so they dont seem so far out, but the people behind the girl with the red hood are further away hence they are more blurred !

Hope that makes sense ! lol im tired and cant sleep yet again !

Ian,

Thats how I understood it worked...but what puzzles me is why the background in the shot of the fella wearing headphones is far more in focus than the background of the girl in the red hood...In the first shot everything in the picture is recogniseable, while the in the second one, it almost an abstract blur...

The reason i ask is that although I've tried to create that blur effect, my pics tend to come out like the first one...I put it down to not having a lens that would open wide enough, but as these two examples were both taken a F2.8, I am a bit confused...

BTW, this is not a critisim of either shot, rather just me trying to learn something...

Regards,

Pete

Ian,

Thats how I understood it worked...but what puzzles me is why the background in the shot of the fella wearing headphones is far more in focus than the background of the girl in the red hood...In the first shot everything in the picture is recogniseable, while the in the second one, it almost an abstract blur...

The reason i ask is that although I've tried to create that blur effect, my pics tend to come out like the first one...I put it down to not having a lens that would open wide enough, but as these two examples were both taken a F2.8, I am a bit confused...

BTW, this is not a critisim of either shot, rather just me trying to learn something...

Regards,

Pete

Pete, I would pressume that there are many variables at play here and not sure really but I suspect everything comes into effect here such is distances between me and the subject, them and background, ISO, aperture, shutter and so on. hyper focal lenths ?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just see the shot and take it how my brain and eye spots it before I take it then manage the camera to get what I want.

I recently took a few photos and upon checking on PC was suprised to find that two consecutative shots displayed differant DOF, even though they were taken with the same lens, same distance, same Aperture, ISO and shutter speed, the only differance was on one shot my flash fired on the 2nd it didnt.

Here are crops from the shots....
both 50mmf1.8 @ F2.5, ISO100, 1/4000th shutter.

With flash (2nd row of guys are well OOF)
KX7G4916-01.jpg

Without flash (2nd row of guys are just OOF)
KX7G4917-01.jpg

My thoughts exactly.
Great set of photos Diego (y)

Thanks all. It was about changing the shoot from fun 'plane plane plane boss' stuff into docu as it was getting very fraught there. Paid off to as lots of the Police stuff has gone as stock which may pay a bill years down the line.

I also have a great pic of a lady copper drinking red bull and I am talking with them about the picture at the moment!!! :)

Here are crops from the shots....
both 50mmf1.8 @ F2.5, ISO100, 1/4000th shutter.

With flash (2nd row of guys are well OOF)
KX7G4916-01.jpg

Without flash (2nd row of guys are just OOF)
KX7G4917-01.jpg

:) Its because your first shot is actually slightly OOF, and the second one, with out the flash is bang on....you can see it in the nike on his hat

(y)

Thanks, thats a simple answer and has concerned me about using the flash. I got asked to do a wedding today, lol... I declined as im no good at this photography lark, but im going to see if they can arrange for me to be allowed to shadow the paid for photog so I can pick up a few tips.

DreederUK, I think the DOF changes because the aperture size changes between shots with flash and without. When there is flash, the auto-exposure needs less light so it uses a smaller aperture. When there isn't flash, more light is needed so a bigger aperture is used.

Edit: But that doesn't explain it cause smaller aperture = more depth of field. :bonk:

Edit2: Good shots btw, Diego. I was there as well..... briefly. It took me 7 hours to get there from Cambridge. And then another 2 hours trying to get out of the car park. :(

Back