Red Grouse in snow

Can't think of a nicer way to wait for a tow!
Prefer #1 Den, more detail in the feathers of the bird and in the 'grasses' ... 2nd looks a bit washed out or possibly affected by some grass in the field of view?

Thanks for the comment ,I was a bit limited to my location, just happy that the birds were knocking around were I got stuck, as when I finally moved on I didn't spot many .

I like this third image. It really shows off the species plumage camouflage. The second image looks a bit too red if I'm very honest, or are Red Grouse really quite so red? I have never seen one.

Position of sun Robin, looked good with the light on the bird but I don't think it as done me any favours here ,the shots are from first light up until around 10.00am when I helped out of the gully...

Position of sun Robin, looked good with the light on the bird but I don't think it as done me any favours here ,the shots are from first light up until around 10.00am when I helped out of the gully...

....It sounds as if the redness is close to what you saw and enjoyed in reality but we see the image in isolation and you know how critical everyone is in this forum (nearly always in a constructive way I hasten to add).

They're definitely not called Red Grouse for no reason! You can see when you look properly that the browns are there and it's not a red caste or something similar, or too much on the vobrancy slider etc.

Just a thought and out of curiosity, would adding a tiny bit of contrast (very carefully indeed) just help that second image - It would also help the shadows in the snow which are possibly a bit too light. I may be wrong but I think it's always worth trying various settings and learning from any mistakes whilst trying.

Dennis, IMHO the first two need "binning" , (they have little merit apart from the fact that it is a Red Grouse), and the third is OK and attractive, but I'm clearly not seeing what others are seeing

Last edited:
Back