Red kite and crow

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's my first upload (hope it work's as I'm rubbish on computers).

It was taken recently around the Gateshead area. Despite what the shot looks like it was actually the crows mobbing the red kite.

I don't generally do much post-processing so could you give me some tips on how I could improve the image.

Let me know what you think, Cheers, Mark.

red_kite_and_crow.jpg

Shame the bird is tagged so obviously :(

Otherwise....a great capture!! The action is just at the right moment :)

Great timing and very well captured ... (y)

I don't think you could do too much to improve it but one obvious thing imhgo is to place it in a square format with the action going on in the centre ... :shrug: ... and perhaps frame it in a simple complimentary style ... ;)

:p

cracking shot.

I know what you mean about the crows, I was watching some of the raptors being flown at the Royal armouries in Leeds last year, and this dammed seagul kept attacking them. I just wanted the birds to revert to natural behaviour and take out the gull!!

Cracking shot Mark, so difficult to capture-you have done well

A couple of issues with the image
It's only around 44k in size, it's going to lose a lot at that small file size- I would aim for at least 100K
There's also some faint 'blobs' on the image-either sensor dust or rain splashes on your lens?

I've tried to tweak the image slightly (levels-noise reduction-usm), but it's such a small file size it's difficult to work with ?

red_kite_and_crow.jpg

Cheers for the comments everyone. Thanks Les for the alterations, a definite improvement. What software do you use by the way? I need to learn more about methods to post process my images and get a good software package.

Cheers for the comments everyone. Thanks Les for the alterations, a definite improvement. What software do you use by the way? I need to learn more about methods to post process my images and get a good software package.

I used photoshop CS3, but would suggest you invest in the latest vesion of photoshop (elements 6 is the latest version)elements, it does most of what CS3 does at a fraction of the cost.

A review of it here:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/software/Adobe PE6/PE6_1.html

That's a brill capture. You don't get many chances to take a shot like this but you have done well with this.

Thanks lammie.

That looks much better scraggs without the wing tags. Thanks very much.

Not an easy subject matter to get good pics from.... as Les pointed out a very small file size is going to lose a lot of the detail

the Tag on the Kite is so that the guys running the Kite reintroduction program can keep tabs n the numbers etc
fortunatly they are now starting to get good numbers in all parts of the country, but they do rather spoil the pictures
I have one with a big tag from a while back

141786881_YZPmX-L.jpg

cheers Chris

Great capture! I'd go for the vertical crop, but you did well to catch this. (y)

red_kite_and_crow-crop.jpg

Cheers guys. i think it does look better in the above format. Thanks again.

Those wing tags are a PITA! I got caught out with this at Gigrin Farm, but after a while I wised up and just picked the ones without the tags.

Fortunately, the tags aren't too difficult to get rid of with a bit of careful cloning.

I did an edit on your pic Buttkicker, but seeing as your edit box isn't ticked I'd better not post it.

has scale to it. I didn't know red kites were so big! Good shot

Great capture mate. Everything has been said about tags and processing and cropping above.

I just want to know where it was! Bird sanctuary or...?

Hi Brian,
The bird was shot in the wild. They can be regularly seen flying around the gateshead region after they were reintroduced (successfully) a couple of years ago. They are now been spotted further afield around the region. It's great to see a bird that used to be common in the UK, then were nearly wiped out, do so well.
Cheers, Mark.

Hi,

excellent capture :clap:

Tagging explained HERE, the colours denote Region and Year of Hatching.

Mike.

Hi its a great shot brillaint timing and well worth the time in cloning out the tag
Pete

Back