Red kite

Edit My Images
No
One of a very few I managed to salvage from yesterday.

IMG_1243_done_cropped_resized.jpg

OOOh lovely shot!

I do a trip from East Herts to Wales most weeks and I see many Red Kites without fail.

It is good to see that they seem to be getting closer and closer to home as time goes by. The Oxford area is quite a stronghold, and I have seen them wheeling above the A40 very close to the M25. My husband reported a pair above Hemel Hempstead last week. Great news.

As always Poacher, a great shot of the Kite.

Janice, I'm in Uxbridge and have seen a pair just North of here, so they are definitely "spreading out". It'll be nice to get some locally so I don't have to drive up to Poachers area to find them (y)

They certainly are a magnificent bird...

Steve

Very good, lovely balance to the shot, perhaps a slight dodge around the eyes to bring out the eye detail?

I love this shot well done. can i ask what lens you were using?

The released a few of these in Rockingham forest, there are some static caravans close by, one weekend a family were there with their yorkshire terrier when one dropped out of the sky and flew off with it

beautiful but keep your dog on a lead

maybe if put the mother in laws yorkies out i might poach a shot :nuts:

Excellent shot - great detail. There's a growing population up here in the North East and I see them every day but I have still to get a decent shot of one:(

Cracking picture poacher (y)

The released a few of these in Rockingham forest, there are some static caravans close by, one weekend a family were there with their yorkshire terrier when one dropped out of the sky and flew off with it

beautiful but keep your dog on a lead

That I think is an urban myth
Red kites are largely carrion eaters and have a body mass of an average of 2.5lbs a little over a kilo
A Yorkie weighs an average of 2.5Kg

Now having hunted birds of prey for several years
a female Harris hawk for example weighs roughly the same as a red kite a sub adult hare
weighs roughly the same as a Yorkie and an adult rabbit conciderably less
Its all the hawk can do to subdue said quarry and possibley drag a rabbit
to near-by cover it would never get off the ground with either
I would love to see the news item though

Cracking picture poacher (y)

That I think is an urban myth
Red kites are largely carrion eaters and have a body mass of an average of 2.5lbs a little over a kilo
A Yorkie weighs an average of 2.5Kg

Now having hunted birds of prey for several years
a female Harris hawk for example weighs roughly the same as a red kite a sub adult hare
weighs roughly the same as a Yorkie and an adult rabbit conciderably less
Its all the hawk can do to subdue said quarry and possibley drag a rabbit
to near-by cover it would never get off the ground with either
I would love to see the news item though

I agree with cobra, Highly unlikly a kite would pick up a small dog and fly off, they`re mostly scavegers.

Back