Beginner Red Kites at feeding time

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a nice trip down to mid-Wales last week, and took in the Red Kite feeding at a nearby farm. This is an organised event rather than just watching them happening to feed - a chap throws forkfuls of raw meat around a field to attract them. I had some trouble tracking the birds, mainly due to a lack of experience - these things change direction a lot more than a racing car or a steam train, or the few other moving objects I've tried to capture.

1. Spotted something

procIMGP9412 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

procIMGP9415 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

procIMGP9448 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

4. Tag a friend in this photo

procIMGP9459 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

5. Got something

procIMGP9381 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

6. Crowded Skies

procIMGP9384 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

As always, any comments and criticism welcome. I was having trouble keeping things in shot, and in focus, and there's been a bit of sharpening in these images as you can probably see.

It's a fascinating place to visit isn't it but can be quite challenging on you AF skills as they do move fast when they decide to turn and swoop down..
My own view is that you need either a decent sky or some background vegetation to make the photos, these are a typical set of shots where both of those conditions are absent but you have done well for a first (?) visit.

Yes, definitely first visit. I did try a few shots with the birds lower down, but just found it impossible to keep track of things in front of the foliage, as did my AF. I was pleasantly surprised at being able to salvage any shots at all.

I have visited Gigrin on a few occasions, the difficult thing to do is to get a shot without another kite in the background!!

#1 is the pick of those you have posted for me.

Never been to such a place! What the hell, it is busy on the last shot. At first i thought they were getting mugged by crows then i looked and realised, it's kites everywhere, i've never seen something like this. Must be worth seeing!

It's a very interesting experience, and I was surprised at how many kites were there. Worth a go if you're in the area. There were some crows around, and some buzzards and a heron - according to others in the hide who know about such things. It's something that I know nothing about, just a random trip out.

It's a very interesting experience, and I was surprised at how many kites were there. Worth a go if you're in the area. There were some crows around, and some buzzards and a heron - according to others in the hide who know about such things. It's something that I know nothing about, just a random trip out.
Never seen a Heron there so that's new, I did once see a vixen come out to get some meat and she obviously had cubs somewhere but the Kites chased her off! :)

Back