Beginner Reflection in the mirror

Name
Blair
Edit My Images
Yes
Girlfriend was getting ready to head out for a walk along the beach while we were staying in North Berwick this weekend.

Managed to fire of a couple of shots without her noticing - keen to improve so let me know what you think and how I can improve (either post, or on camera in the future)

Thanks

Beach.jpg
by blairlochrie, on Flickr

Beach-2.jpg
by blairlochrie, on Flickr

Hi, I prefer the second one. in the first one there is too much black space on the left side, and it is not well focused on your gf's face. good luck.

As above, you missed focus on the first. And the DoF on both creates a cluttered bg, your job is to draw our attention to the subject.
I'd have gone for getting all
the frame in or only a hint that it was a mirror shot.
I don't know how the room looked but another take would have been a wider shot to use the plain wall as negative space.
If I was being super picky, I'd have done something to knock out the highlight on her right cheek too.
The good news is you have a photogenic girlfriend, go practice some more (what else is there to do).

you chopped the head too much
the second one probable is the better for reformatting
also remove all the background details, level any mirror frames and use a really shallow dof...
cheers
geoff

How could he change the DOF ? surely whatever is in focus in the mirror will be in focus on his photo no matter what aperture he used , his focus point is the mirrors surface, or am I completing missing something

The mirror doesn't act like the screen of a TV.....;)

The camera focuses on the reflection, not the surface of the mirror glass.

Yea I tried it 30 sec after I posted, so I deleted my post, you must have been right on the ball with your quoted reply :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys - appreciated.
I will give it another go next time I have the chance

Back