RIAT 2023 tips please

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Planning on going to RIAT for the first time this year.

Will be going on the Saturday .

Looking for any advice hints and tips on what gear to take and what sort of ticket to buy.

Thanks

I've always found the viewing village upgrade to be worth it.
Gear - a 100-400 + a 500/600 if you have it.

Note the car parks are some distance from the show. Many take trolleys for their gear + clothing etc.

Getting in and out by car takes ages. Early start advised.

Can also add: the static aircraft display is huge so a 24-120 (or similar) is useful.

Comfy shoes, sun cream and a hat are a must, plus I also take food as it is relatively expensive. I use a 100-400 (something longer if you have it) on a crop and find it ok for the flying, but any kit lens 18-135 for example will be ok for the static displays. You will always get people in the way of the statics as its just too busy to be able to not get anyone in shot. As Peter said the car parks are quite a walk so you have to take everything with you, and I also do advise an early start and be prepared for a long tiring day, but that's also a brilliant day out. I have only ever purchased the normal entry ticket so I can't comment on the enclosures.

In reality, what glass will work for action shots?

Have a 70/200 2.8 plus 1.4 and 2.0 tc’s.

Happy to rent if required.

The minimum for the air displays is 400mm focal length, I think safety has become a huge concern with air crashes, so aircraft don’t come as close as they did in the past. I would also recommend an ultra wide zoom for the static aircraft

I intend going this year, and have been twice before but not recently. Once I drove there, lot's of queuing in roads changed to one way only. The other time I met up with others at Swindon and caught a ferry bus in. Note to myself, leave home earlier. Will be taking a Nikon D500 with 80-400, and 2 x Nikon D750's with 24-70 and 17-35 lenses attached in backpack. Ultra wide zoom was previously useful for aircraft internal shots. All useful comments above.

A fair few variables at RIAT.

For the static I'm using the 24-70mm on the D5 and 70-200mm on the D500. For flying I'm using the 70-200mm on the D850 for display teams and formations, 300mm on the D5 for transport types and 500mm on the D500 for fast jets.

For the flying display I'm normally at the eastern threshold (Kempsford end) and can capture line up, display and landing shots.

Also worth doing 2 days, one for static and the other for flying.

Always a good couple of days out, been going since the IAT was at Greenham Common:)

Can’t run to 2 days as doing FOS on the Friday, so already a pretty expensive weekend !

Considering renting the 500mm F4 PF , is that a good choice or could I run to a 300 PF and use tc’s?

I have the 500PF and yes it would be great for a lot of shots, but last year I took only the 100-400.
If I go again, (not going this year) the I will take 2 bodies - one with the 100-400 and one with the 500.

Edit - and of course a wide angle for the statics

Last edited:
I have the 500PF and yes it would be great for a lot of shots, but last year I took only the 100-400.
If I go again, (not going this year) the I will take 2 bodies - one with the 100-400 and one with the 500.

Edit - and of course a wide angle for the statics

Just out of interest, what size sensor did the body used with the 100-400 have?

Hmm, no option of another body…..

Is the 500 likely to limiting ?

I’m not sure where to stand yet as it’s my first visit.

What would recommend as best glass choice ?

IMG_9462_1500.jpg
Hope it's not as hot as last year!!

I’m not sure where to stand yet as it’s my first visit.

What would recommend as best glass choice ?
Going back to earlier posts, if Nikon announce their 200-600 at either the USA exhibition in January or the Japanese one in February, then you have a fair chance of getting one for RIAT.
That and a wide angle would cover most of your shots.

That would depend on Lens for Hire also getting one in time….

I have a 16/85 so short end isn’t a concern.

Can’t run to 2 days as doing FOS on the Friday, so already a pretty expensive weekend !

Same issue here, at least Chichester and Fairford aren't too far apart. I've got Birdfair up at Rutland on my to do list this year as well as RIAT. Same Weekend!!

Back