B&W Robin in Black & White

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was doing some quick testing to see if my lens was front/back focusing on a robin. We've all seen lots of robin images, so I thought I'd try something different and do a black and white portrait. Probably a marmite thing, you either love or hate it. I quite like it myself, anybody else?

Robin B&W by Chris Cotton, on Flickr

No, Chris, these little things, for me, should be in colour!
However, since you are mentioning front/back focusing, I
think that here I see a front focus issue when enlarged.

Mono is good - it enables a portrayal of essence rather than surface, stripping out the hackneyed viewpoint.

For any other subject, no problem. Not a Robin though! :)

always good to experiment Chris - one of the joys of digital and pp

it's OK .... grows on you a little, just a little

but I would clean up the background so that it has no distractions and reduce the noise as far as possible .. a little more space around it would also help, IMHO

Nice clean background would help it but I agree, a Robin is best in colour :)

Thanks for the comments everybody. As I said it won't be for everybody :) I'm a graphic designer by trade so although I can see what you all mean saying it should be in colour, I like to break the rules a bit. If we all did the same thing, it would get a bit repetitive ;) My thoughts were that we always see a robin and look at the colour etc. I wanted to focus attention on the details of the feathers which came out clearer in a b&w conversion. It made me stop and appreciate the hidden details we don't often see, but as I said, I don't mind if nobody else likes it as it's all a matter of personal opinion.

@Carlh Yeah the focus was slightly off hence I was testing the back/front focusing issue
@BillN_33 I agree about the background, I'll try and clean that up later. I actually like the noise, it gives it a bit of...I don't know what...but I like it, sorry!

@BillN_33 I'll try and clean that up later. I actually like the noise, it gives it a bit of...I don't know what...but I like it, sorry!

you only like the noise because you have bought the camera ............. :)

with these high pixel DX sensors, it is the bg noise that is especially annoying ....... the D810 and D750 do not seem to have the same "problem"

Last edited:
Back