Roman Ruins from Lebanon

Edit My Images
Yes
I was fortunate enough to holiday in Lebanon and Jordan last month - some fantastic Ruins there. Normal advice was not to travel to Balbeck, close to the Syrian border, but with a proper tour group this was a non issue.

All the series was shot with a D700 and an old AF-S 28-105 lens, processed in LR5.

Hope you enjoy and later on this week I'll be posting the epic from Petra - ruins like this do make you think how far we have progressed, but also how these structures could never be built in modern times.

The main purpose of the visit was actually a wedding, simply spectacular. The lebanese know how to through a party! Some snaps from that as well as the rest of the series can be found here - http://studiocrazyp.smugmug.com/Trav...banon-Aug-2013

Balbeck%202013-1-L.jpg

Balbeck%202013-66-L.jpg

Balbeck%202013-71-L.jpg

Balbeck%202013-79-L.jpg

Balbeck%202013-111-L.jpg

Balbeck%202013-103-L.jpg

Thanks for the comments - in some ways it's very sad I was able to catch the scenes people free - these ruins used to be crawling with tourists, but with all the trouble the tours coming through are reduced totally. Tour guides get max 1 in 3 days instead of 3-5 a day.

I agree with colours, I find vibrance and saturation is used to give too much of colour inaccuracy and just too vibrant - slightly desaturated gives a more natural look, though admittedly I have gone slightly over the top with the shadows and contrast - I feel it works with ruins. I'm not a big vignette person, but decided to give it a go in this set and in general quite happy with the results. Petra will be uploaded soon, even more interesting stuff :)

Lovely set. Some of them look very similar to Jerash in Jordan. I visited Lebanon few times in the past and I 100% agree with you, Lebanese people know how to through a party (y)

Looking forward to seeing your Petra photos

Thanks! My understanding is that Jarash and Balbeck are very similar in style and probably the time they were constructed. For me this is the period when the Romans really perfected their craft/style, sadly earthquakes have not been kind to their work.

Got some landscape up from Jordan in the other forum section - Petra in a few days :)

Back