Rome holiday lens upgrade..

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey im looking to upgrade my 18-55mm Canon 1000d kit lens to a good 'allrounder' for my holiday in Rome. Something that means i dont need to keep changing the lenses. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Budget might help, as well as what range you fancy the zoom ?

There is the 17-85, 28-135, 18-200, (y)

Around £150ish and i fancy 18-200mm.

I was in rome a couple of years ago and at the time my widest lens was 28mm which just wasn't good enough to capture the fantastic architecture they have there. I would recommend a 17mm lens but I suppose a 18-200mm would be good too. To be honest, in Rome you shouldn't find the need to zoom too much so a Sigma 17-70mm would be an option and probably within your budget if you buy second hand.

It sounds like my kit lens would be adequete then.:D

I took a Sigma 18-200mm OS to Italy (Rome included) last year and was very impressed with it. I've seen them go for less than £200 second hand for Canon.

I also had a 10-20mm which was perfect for the Colosseum (y)

If you are after the Canon 55-250mm then have a look here for the best prices. It seems to suggest Amazon is the cheapest at £199 for a new one however when you click the link to Amazon it is coming up at just £165 plus P+P.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod596.html

55-250mm is a decent walk about lens but I'd take the 18-55mm with you as well or even something wider than that if you can either afford to buy one or borro one off a friend.

I can get the Sigma 18-200mm without the OS for £149. Is it worth it?

I can get the Sigma 18-200mm without the OS for £149. Is it worth it?

in my opinion (not worth much) then would seriously think about whether you will use the long end of this lens very much - i am thinking that on holiday it will be more likely people shots and wide(ie landscape) work.

the reason I say this, is that these type of 'super zoom' lenses will often rob you of a certain amount of image quality, which if you are using it long, then can be worth it. If not, then a shorter lens will give more satisfying results.

Back