Rose

All good but I really like the first with the tones of the flower matching the background and the space above.

I actually quite like the first shot. It works very well for me with the matching colours with the background, composition and even the falling petals.
I'd have probably looked to make it a square crop but like like darker pink tones in the top left and bottom right corners.

2nd and 3rd shots don't quite have the same effect for me. The flowers a look a little out of place and for me isn't gelling with rest of the background or composition.

All good but I really like the first with the tones of the flower matching the background and the space above.
Thanks you
My plan was to try to match the flower to the background.

I actually quite like the first shot. It works very well for me with the matching colours with the background, composition and even the falling petals.
I'd have probably looked to make it a square crop but like like darker pink tones in the top left and bottom right corners.

2nd and 3rd shots don't quite have the same effect for me. The flowers a look a little out of place and for me isn't gelling with rest of the background or composition.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.
I must admit the first shot was my personal favourite. I took the other shots because I'd already had the set up up and some more flowers so just thought I'd try a few different things :)

First one is my favourite. The negative space and the fallen petals gives the impression that there is an intriguing story behind it.

Dominic, I can just add the voice to those Chris and Graham nandbytes. The colours match both in hues and in tonality the "room", the loose petals add interest, the composition is a bit unconventional but it works and I like it. I wonder why did you decide to add fairly heavy vignette to the upper left corner. My reading of the image was that you wished to create a sense of warmth, comfort and relaxation, and yet the vignette in the upper corner makes the image a git top heavy and all the weight is on the left and there is not much counterweight on the right. That seems to go against what I would assume you wish to convey and it gives image some tension and edge. What are your thoughts behind this?

The other two images work less well for me for reasons given by others, but also an additional one. For me, flowers are something fragile and ephemeral and very this and light. I assume that this is what you wished to convey with the bottom two flowers as well. And yet, both flowers have dark colours and very deep (closed) shadows making them look like something made of some hardy solid material. I think that the colours do not match the decor well, but you may consider making the flowers really light and give them very low contrast to open the shadows.

I hope that you find some of it useful. Feel free to ask follow-up questions.

Back