Rotten weather but a lovely wedding

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I seem to have had a bad run of rubbish weather for weddings recently, and even the last one I posted on here despite being dry was blowing a gale so the couple only wanted to go outside for a few minutes... this one luckily the heavy rain subsided long enough for 10 mins outside with the couple and they are really easy going so were happy to oblige with my request to do so... I also had a brolly on hand which I think made them feel secure that if it started bucketing down again they wouldn't get soaked.

Anyway here's a few from the wedding including a very emotional father of the bride, a full storyboard is at the bottom.

Feedback and critique is as always much appreciated :)

13783877975_a3764d459f_z.jpg

13784215384_1901cab05a_z.jpg

13783892593_289eab6376_z.jpg

13784213614_d51ab14a16_z.jpg

13784211864_0fcb9eef87_z.jpg

full storyboard here - http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co...ns-wedding-horton-grange-wedding-photography/

Last edited:
Really nice set, and the storyboard is full of nice images.

Can't really offer much in the way of crit, but would say I really like your style. The way you frame your images is similar to the way I try to (when I can keep the camera straight lol).

Looks like your 35 L is getting a good workout (as is mine!)

Love no.3, but can't help thinking it would have been slightly better if the couple were in the next window along to the right, and the edges cropped so you couldn't see the background (making it appear more abstract).

No.4 looks almost as though it was shot in infrared - it's unusual though and I like it :)

Loving these Andy. I think i can see a difference now your shooting with just primes, or I would like to think I can. Really like the processing and the moments being caught. Really great storyboard. I even think the wet weather adds to some of the photos. They can't all be sunshining can they? We don't line in California.

Really nice set, and the storyboard is full of nice images.

Can't really offer much in the way of crit, but would say I really like your style. The way you frame your images is similar to the way I try to (when I can keep the camera straight lol).

Looks like your 35 L is getting a good workout (as is mine!)

Love no.3, but can't help thinking it would have been slightly better if the couple were in the next window along to the right, and the edges cropped so you couldn't see the background (making it appear more abstract).

No.4 looks almost as though it was shot in infrared - it's unusual though and I like it :)

Cheers Andy, good point about number 3, I've neither included the whole scene nor excluded the external area around it... now I see it I see where you're coming from.

Haha and the same with 4 it does look infra red! Just high contrast and the moisture in the scene I think :)

Loving these Andy. I think i can see a difference now your shooting with just primes, or I would like to think I can. Really like the processing and the moments being caught. Really great storyboard. I even think the wet weather adds to some of the photos. They can't all be sunshining can they? We don't line in California.

Cheers Gareth, no I think you're right about the primes, I'm definitely seeing difference too and I think I'm improving with them every time I use them.

Live in Cali eh? That's the dream... maybe one day :D

#1 is a near miss. If that was mine, and the only useable one I'd got from that situation, I'd be kicking myself for missing the moment i.e. him looking at her, and also for not standing slightly more to the left to reduce the gap between them. Was that just one shot, or did you take a few as the situation evolved?

#2 is well caught,and at least the old bird in the front row to the right wasn't sitting with her legs wide apart, as they often do :rolleyes:

#3 I'm with Stevie

I have no opinion on #4, and regarding #5 I'm by no means an authority on trad shots like this, but I do know what would have made a surprising difference to it. Check out the bride's right hand. It looks almost like she's clenching it, which sends a message that she's not totally relaxed. All she needed to (be told to) do was to "lovingly" place her right hand on him. I'm sure the type of snapper who carries a piece of white card to slip up the groom's suit sleeve so he shows the BIPP-approved amount of shirt cuff would know exactly where she should have put her hand, but I don't. I'd have just told her to try a few different places and seen what it looked like ...

#1 is a near miss. If that was mine, and the only useable one I'd got from that situation, I'd be kicking myself for missing the moment i.e. him looking at her, and also for not standing slightly more to the left to reduce the gap between them. Was that just one shot, or did you take a few as the situation evolved?

#2 is well caught,and at least the old bird in the front row to the right wasn't sitting with her legs wide apart, as they often do :rolleyes:

#3 I'm with Stevie

I have no opinion on #4, and regarding #5 I'm by no means an authority on trad shots like this, but I do know what would have made a surprising difference to it. Check out the bride's right hand. It looks almost like she's clenching it, which sends a message that she's not totally relaxed. All she needed to (be told to) do was to "lovingly" place her right hand on him. I'm sure the type of snapper who carries a piece of white card to slip up the groom's suit sleeve so he shows the BIPP-approved amount of shirt cuff would know exactly where she should have put her hand, but I don't. I'd have just told her to try a few different places and seen what it looked like ...

Cheers for the comments :)

#1 there's about 3 others from that moment in the storyboard :)
#2 Haha yes lucky they are tightly shut!
#3 I'm sure I will be too once someone explains what it is
#5 She's having to hold her dress up in that hand hence the clenched fist, she wouldn't let it hang down due to the wet floor and puddles... Ideally she would have popped her hand on his shoulder and let the dress hang loose but she wasn't having it when I made the suggestion :D

#1 there's about 3 others from that moment in the storyboard :)

Which I hadn't time to look at last night. I have now though, and have got the measure of the wedding. Going by the various indicators, I reckon you did really well at that one! :cool:

#3 I'm sure I will be too once someone explains what it is

Keep the width and crop it up from the bottom to somewhere around 2/3 of the present height and see what you think ...

#5 She's having to hold her dress up in that hand hence the clenched fist, she wouldn't let it hang down due to the wet floor and puddles...

Well it's her own fault then. You can only do so much :rolleyes:

Nice set.

Last image looks awkward. You need to take one final look at the couple before taking the shot. In this case you would have spotted her hand hanging limp.

Cracking story telling again. Great processing again.

Really like the style.

I'm not qualified to give major crit so I won't, but I know what I like and I like these!

Back