Rough leg?

Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken by a friend today with a Canon power zoom camera as we watched a Buzzard in a tree. We are 99% certain it's a Rough Legged Buzzard as I have seen one at the location hovering a month or so back. There's loads of Common Buzzards in the area and I've never been up this close and we didn't get a view of its tail or wing colours as it flew off to confirm. Any views?

juXE0e5.jpg

Puckeridge, Herts. There's been an immature RL there for 3 months or so and I can confirm I saw it in flight 2 months ago.

Puckeridge, Herts. There's been an immature RL there for 3 months or so and I can confirm I saw it in flight 2 months ago.
Really, they don't normally get that far inland normally stay on the East coast, must be fantastic to see one as they are so rare.

The reason I go for common Buzzard is that the Rough-Legged has a Darker Stomach than the Common but they are so hard to ID as the .it should come with its name on its chest lol. its a sham you hadn't got it in flight too as it would have been a bit easier to id from that.

You're right, without seeing the bird in flight it's very difficult. I'm now starting to think it's a pale Common.

Back