Rove rescue, ladykiller and unidantified...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Tiny rove beetle found floundering in the pond. Did my good deed for the day and nabbed a quick pic as he dried out.

Rove beetle by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

A.diadematus chomping on a Kidney-Spot ladybird

ladykiller... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Potentially ID'ed as a Slender Ant (Leptothorax acervorum). Waiting for a second opinion, any ant experts here?

Unidentified ant by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Unidentified ant by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

All C&C welcomed.

i am really intrested in doing this kind of macro photography....which lens did you use ?

i am really intrested in doing this kind of macro photography....which lens did you use ?

I suggest you look at the getting started thread in this section.

There are lots of cheap ways to try it out... wouldn't recommend buying a dedicated lens at first. Try it on a cheapy setup and see if you like it.

Mark no idea on ant Id but it looks different and great find as such.

Great lighting, detail, focus as ever. Spider and ladybird is good as you have dinner in focus too.

Great find on rove beetle never heard of them before are they normally in soil?

cool photos mark (y) they look a bit different to your normal processing style though? sort-of-hdr-grunge look to them?

Cheers

Not intentionally done any differently, and certainly not HDR! :)

I don't have a set style that I usually stick to, more depends on the image and what takes my fancy. It really wouldn't hurt to have a recognisable style though, tend to be a bit more memorable.

Cheers

Not intentionally done any differently, and certainly not HDR! :)

I don't have a set style that I usually stick to, more depends on the image and what takes my fancy. It really wouldn't hurt to have a recognisable style though, tend to be a bit more memorable.
(y) ah right. just looks "grungy", might be because the blacks are really black - it looks great, not knocking it if it was hdr'ish, just looks good!

Great set Mark, sorry can't confirm the ant ID, but you may be right. It looks different to the usual black garden ants I find.

I think what Carl is describing as "grungy" is down to the great textures you get in your shots. Obviously no flannel though!

Back