RucPac Slide (single) Camera Strap Review

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently been testing the RucPac “Slide” camera strap and thought I would feed back my experiences with it. What can you say about a camera strap? Well, a limited amount, but I nevertheless thought I would share my thoughts.

This is a single strap 50mm wide, with silicon grips on one side, that comes with pretty conventional triangular split rings for attachment to camera eyelets, but also an O-ring with ¼ inch screw to go into the tripod mount socket on the base of a camera, giving a choice of attachment points. Additionally, the camera attachment ends of the strap have plastic pinch clips so that you can disconnect the strap but leave the ends attached to the camera, thus making it easier to either pack things away or use the camera without strap.

I decided to be a bit awkward. I wanted to use this strap with a newly acquired Mamiya C330 TLR camera, which has slot attachment points for a strap rather than holes or eyelets. This necessitated a very fiddly removal of the triangular split rings and re-threading of the attachment strap through the camera slots and then securing it properly in the usual fashion with straps. This is when I wished strap suppliers used simple plastic spring clips at the end of their straps instead of those dreaded split rings (although I know this is done for security and to minimise rubbing damage to cameras).

Having connected up the strap to the camera, I tested it for how it felt with the weight of a 1960’s metal TLR; the answer was, rather comfortable actually, the attachment points and plastic clips all felt very secure and there was no give at all. The strap length was very adjustable, so it was comfortable hanging just around my neck when I was wandering around a derelict building looking for visual inspiration, and took the strain nicely when I was composing images in the waist-level (actually chest level) viewfinder. I then tried carrying the camera with the strap over my shoulder instead, rather anxiously at first, but by twisting the strap so that the silicon grips were against my jacket, I gradually relaxed as the strap did seem more static, although I have to say it will still slowly slide off your shoulder if you are a bit slopey-shouldered like me, but not nearly as quickly as a strap without those grips..

So, in conclusion, I was actually pleasantly surprised to be able to report that this strap is a real winner for me, much preferred to all the old leather or fabric ones I’ve had previously that just slip off my shoulder almost immediately or rub the back of my neck. It is comfortable to wear, secure for the camera, and a fair price considering how much better it is than the run of the mill straps many of us are used to.

Back