Rugby - 1st real attempt

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my 1st real attempt at rugby photography. They're a little noisy as I had to ramp the ISO up to get decent speeds. Really flat light day.Some of the backgrounds are a little distracting.

1) Ref knows best?
3241433107_0343643a04_o.jpg

2) How many do I have to beat?
3242268370_68d791dd1c_o.jpg

3) Wishing I was somewhere else
3242267002_8ec35dc3e2_o.jpg

4) Ugly looking bunch
3241434127_4e5c390fd2_o.jpg

5) My Ball
3242268982_a2c5ef86d6_o.jpg

6) 3 points
3241436019_14b3aef6d4_o.jpg

7) Follow me lads
3242270332_91cc175294_o.jpg

8) Tough Guy
3242271130_3195f69634_o.jpg

Any C&C welcome :)

Last edited:
Really good set.
Like #3....been there ,know the feeling:puke:

Really good set.
Like #3....been there ,know the feeling:puke:

Thanks Albion. No its not a very nice feeling. never played front row but been at the bottom of a few rucks on cloud, wet and windy days.

composition looks fine but some appear oversharpened

Thanks gary, you may well be right about the over sharpening.

Nice set of shots especially as a first attempt and I love that one of the scrum

Cheers Capt'

I started off at prop at young age and gradually worked back to flanker.
You find out who your friends are in the front row:eek:

You certainly do find out who your friends are.

When I used to play 2nd row I was always a bit worried about the binding with the prop in front. You need to be careful ware you put your hands.

Your composition and sharpness seems pretty good. A tweak of the levels PP would make the kit colours and grass 'pop' a bit more for 5,6 and 7 but seems OK for the other colour shots.

Maybe try and focus a bit more on the action. Try and capture some action in the tight and the tackle?

Your composition and sharpness seems pretty good. A tweak of the levels PP would make the kit colours and grass 'pop' a bit more for 5,6 and 7 but seems OK for the other colour shots.

Maybe try and focus a bit more on the action. Try and capture some action in the tight and the tackle?

Thanks Freester for the tips.

I took these images from the side lines, I'm planning on trying from either end of the field next time, as I should be shooting through less people then, the backs have a habit of getting in the way from the sidelines

Thanks Andrew. I had a quick look earlier today, theres some very nice images. I'm in work so I'll have a good look this evening :)

Looks like you were standing up for these?

I know you feel a bit of a plonker sitting down at the side of pitch at a local rugby game but it will give you a much more pleasing result.

Also focus on minimizing the background to your pics, if you haven't got f2.8 glass then shooting at the widest aperture you have, sitting down and shooting from behind the try line rather than from the side will all help a lot.

Don't want to hijack your post but here's a Linky to an example taken from exactly this position. :)

Great first effort at rugby though and like Cap Penguin I love the scrum shot (y)

Last edited:
Looks like you were standing up for these?

I know you feel a bit of a plonker sitting down at the side of pitch at a local rugby game but it will give you a much more pleasing result.

Also focus on minimizing the background to your pics, if you haven't got f2.8 glass then shooting at the widest aperture you have, sitting down and shooting from behind the try line rather than from the side will all help a lot.

Don't want to hijack your post but here's a Linky to an example taken from exactly this position. :)

Great first effort at rugby though and like Cap Penguin I love the scrum shot (y)

Thanks for the tips TheBionicDan. I can see the difference in your photo using the lower view point. I did take a few from a kneeling position but I was not happy with the results. It was not the angle it was the composition. I was planning being behind the the try line on my next attempt. Although I might get something to keep my backside warm :LOL:

I'm looking about f4 to f5.6 as a minimum, so backgrounds might be a problem for a while :(

Wow I never spotted that. It makes it even more impressive.
I had a look throught the set and I enjoyed each one, but now that I have seen the "joker in the pack" on image 3 that had to be the winner.

Thanks for your complements Trappe. Look more closely below the props head and you'll see the hooker in an even more uncomfortable position. :eek:

Last edited:
Although I might get something to keep my backside warm :LOL:

The little three legged folding stools you get from any camping shop or tescos/argos etc are the perfect thing for sport and you'll see virtually every pro using one at rugby/football. Not only are they small, light and incredibly cheap but they put you at almost the perfect height too. Best piece of sports tog kit you will buy (apart from some good waterproofs) ;)

The little three legged folding stools you get from any camping shop or tescos/argos etc are the perfect thing for sport and you'll see virtually every pro using one at rugby/football. Not only are they small, light and incredibly cheap but they put you at almost the perfect height too. Best piece of sports tog kit you will buy (apart from some good waterproofs) ;)

I was down at Murrayfield on Sunday, and yes just about every tog had one of the folding stools. Missed several minutes of the match watching them and eying their long lenses with envy :LOL:

Great shots taxi,#7 & #8 are great.(y)

Back