weekly RyanB's 52 for 2024 Week 18 Straight (tech) minimalist

Whole.. lovely puzzle. The ones that look easy are often the hardest
Hidden. Nice take on the theme and well executed.
Thanks Helen, the puzzle was marked as a challenger and it was for sure. The whole thing was only 5" in diameter for scale so the pieces whilst intricate were also tiny. Hidden took way less time and effort to put together and that involved two wardrobe changes... :ROFLMAO:

Week 10 Texture Technique Vivid
A beetle shot with bellows and a reversed 30mm lens. 37 layer focus stack
beetle.jpg

2. Dried ginger root
5P8A3271.jpg

3. A mini pumpkin
5P8A3299.jpg

4. Scales of a butterfly wing 12 layer focus stack
wingtiff.jpg

Last edited:
All stunning pictures! The beetle shot looks absolutely amazing, as does the butterfly wing - though I'd never know what that was without you saying

Definitely your chosen image. Cracking shot and the colour is amazing.

Definitely your chosen image. Cracking shot and the colour is amazing.
All impressive, personally I think the ginger fits the theme best.
Chosen image doesn't just tick the box, it kicked the box out the way and made a new one.

Brilliant - in all senses of the word.
Fabulous set and the beetle is superb.
Many thanks for taking your time to have a look and leave a comment, they are as always, appreciated! :)

Super set - I like em all ;)

Week 11 Personal tech Vivid
Struggled to get out or even set something up at home this week but here is one from this morning before work.

A duck doing his personal hygiene routine. Shot on a film era 300mm f4 Meyer Optik Orestegor 2Kg beast of a lens.
5P8A4843v1024.jpg

Quackin' shot :)

An interesting set - I think I would have gone for the pot and cup... that's just weird!

Three inteseting images. Tell us about them!

An interesting set - I think I would have gone for the pot and cup... that's just weird!
Thanks Paul!
Three inteseting images. Tell us about them!
Cheers Dave, The candle shot is done with 3 torches from different angles and distances from the lit candle. I wanted all 3 to be similar density shadows but couldn't seem to get it right because one of my torches is significantly dimmer with a narrower beam than the other two.

The silhouettes were just done with a single torch and the camera on a tripod projecting on a bit of white mount board, going for a Hitchcock feel with the knife. The cup and pot I used distance to alter the size of the pot which is barely as big as the cup, just bits and pieces I found lying around from some still life attempts I was doing earlier in the year.
I like the knife.

As Dave says though
Many thanks Kell! See above for an explanation. :)

Last edited:
Nice set. The third for me. Made me think of Alice in Wonderland as soon as I saw it. Maybe the tea party .......
The knife is a close second!
I can see the difficulty of your attempt on the first. Hats off for trying!!

Nice set. The third for me. Made me think of Alice in Wonderland as soon as I saw it. Maybe the tea party .......
The knife is a close second!
I can see the difficulty of your attempt on the first. Hats off for trying!!
me too for the cup and pot,
Thanks for popping in for a look guys, most appreciated. I went for the candle as it was the most challenging to setup and liked the idea of shadows cast from multiple light sources including the candle flame itself.

Personal.. lovely shot.
Shadows.. my vote for #3 too. I like the outline.

Week 13 Unkempt

Some unkemptness I found doing my first grass cutting of the year this afternoon.
5P8A7092.jpg

2. Its hard to look this unkempt although doing the garden helped a bit.
5P8A7140v900.jpg

Spot on takes. The second, as I said elsewhere, is the truest take as "unkempt" has its origins dating back to middle English and literally meant "uncombed". Once an English teacher in Spain, always an English teacher in Spain. Hahaha!!

Scruffy git :D

Nicely done :)

Spot on takes. The second, as I said elsewhere, is the truest take as "unkempt" has its origins dating back to middle English and literally meant "uncombed". Once an English teacher in Spain, always an English teacher in Spain. Hahaha!!
Cheers, I always equated unkempt to be uncombed but never knew the origins.
Very good!
Thanks Paul!
Scruffy git :D

Nicely done :)
What me!!? I had to clean up for this shot!:p

Great unkempt photo, there hasn't been much variety this week (mine included) so thanks for doing something a big different.

Back