Critique Sahnnon

Hi Lionel

Number two is probably your strongest image in this set - Nice post, nice eye contact, night lighting. If anything, I would be tempted to get rid of the skin shine that is under her right eye. Number three is a close second, although I would either commit to the head crop a bit more, or pull it back a bit. Number four might look nice in a high contrast B&W... looks a bit 'cold' in colour. Number five looks like it's a tad underexposed. This is just my personal opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

Overall though, a good set. :)

Hi Lionel

Number two is probably your strongest image in this set - Nice post, nice eye contact, night lighting. If anything, I would be tempted to get rid of the skin shine that is under her right eye. Number three is a close second, although I would either commit to the head crop a bit more, or pull it back a bit. Number four might look nice in a high contrast B&W... looks a bit 'cold' in colour. Number five looks like it's a tad underexposed. This is just my personal opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

Overall though, a good set. :)
Thanks Bethy, you are absolutely right about #5 lol. I was about to use it for my site and came to exactly the same conclusion as soon as I looked at it again! Good suggestions for 3 and 4 also.

I think the shots are very nice. I like the engagement of #2 but prefer the more interesting lighting of #3. #1 looks just a touch over exposed (flash power down 3/10 would probably have been perfect). I would suggest having a rim light on #1, #2 & #3 just to add some separation against the BG and bring out her hair a little.

#5 maybe 2/10 down on the BG exposure, as the key (model left) seems to be adding to the light reflected from the BG and getting close to overexposing the hair falling over her left shoulder. #5 could likely also benefit from some soft fill directly behind camera and I would add a touch of contrast to the hair on the top of her head in post as it looks to have too much mid (maybe that's subjective, but I like a decent black).

They're a nice set of images, the exposures are a bit inconsistent though, 1 looks slightly over, 2 looks slightly under 3 looks about right on my laptop. Number 2 is a stunning picture though and you've captured a great expression and really nice quality of light, I'd maybe burn the arm and bottom of image down a bit keep focus on her face though. Number 5 lacks contrast for me, the exposure looks quite flat imo on such a bright high key background, if it was me I'd push the highlights a bit to make it pop a bit more.

Last edited:
Back