Saltburn by the Sea

Great shot ... any info on kit and settings ? ... sorry as a beginner I am trawling the site looking at images and effects to build up a better understanding of settings

Great shot ... any info on kit and settings ? ... sorry as a beginner I am trawling the site looking at images and effects to build up a better understanding of settings

Thanks Paul.

This was taken using a Pentax K3 + Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 lens. It is made up of two exposures - one for the foreground and one for the sky - as I don't have the right ND grad size filters currently to use with the 77mm element of the lens I used. The two exposures were 'developed' in Lightroom and then combined using layer masks in Photoshop Elements. The foreground exposure was 1/6s at f14 and ISO100, with the sky being 1.7 stops darker.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Thanks Simon ... that's certainly a lot of info to digest ... the more I learn the more it seems I need to learn if that makes sense :)

Thanks Simon ... that's certainly a lot of info to digest ... the more I learn the more it seems I need to learn if that makes sense :)

One of the best things about this hobby is that there is always something new to learn :)

Simon.

Its a nice shot but would definitely benefit from a nice sky! As you say, a reason to go back :)

Its a nice shot but would definitely benefit from a nice sky! As you say, a reason to go back :)

Thanks Stu.

While I set out hoping for a much better sky, I actually really like the simpler sky as it helps focus attention on the water and pier. Won't stop me going back again at some point to capture a more dramatic sky though :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Back