Samsung Kies.........

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to launch husband's old phone through the window so can someone help my sanity (and our window)

Husband has upgraded his phone from a Galaxy Ace to S3 Mini

I have gone onto Samsung website to download Kies to my laptop so that we can do a backup and restore/transfer from the Ace to the Mini

I can connect to the application and start the back up, however, halfway through, Kies just closes itself down

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, several times with no joy

It is starting to get on my nerves now!

Kies is crap, don't use it!
If all you want to do is back up media content then use an app such as air droid.

I know it's crap but apart from rooting the phone for a couple of apps I saw on google, I didn't know what else I could use. It's not just media content though. It's the contacts, texts etc

Air droid does contacts, and there are loads of dedicated apps for sms backup, surely one of them has to work on the ace

Is it Kies or Kies3. I thought there was a difference depending on phone firmware

I use Airdroid and Lookout. You can always open up My Computer and then the phone to drag all the files onto your desktop.

I did notice the other day that Kies was removed from my S3 when it upgraded itself to 4.3. Samsung given up on it too?

Am I not mistaken that it is all backed up by Google and it will download it all for you when you sign in on the new phone?

Assuming you have it set up correctly, contacts wil sync through the google account. Check online first at gmail.com, then when you sign into the google account on the new phone they will sync down. I'm not sure if you can easily transfer SMS messages as you wish, but helium backup would be a good place to start.

Kies is clunky to say the least. I've found that it needs a disproportionately large amount of CPU power and RAM to run smoothly.

I did a Kies backup before resetting my phone after an update but when it came to restoring the backup it kept failing. Fortunately I was just trying it as an exercise, because I'd heard how hopeless it was, and I'd backed up everything important through reliable means too.

Kies is a PITA. It worked for me but I needed to run in it in Admin mode. Note that you will need the correct version of Kies depending on your phone.
Why not drop by your local phone store and ask if they will do it for you, they may have other software to do data transfers between phones.

Air droid does contacts, and there are loads of dedicated apps for sms backup, surely one of them has to work on the ace

They would if husband's phone hadn't now switched the SIM over to his new one so he can't now download any apps to his old phone

Is it Kies or Kies3. I thought there was a difference depending on phone firmware

There is a difference which is why I followed the steps through to the phone's actual make and model to download the right version of software.

Am I not mistaken that it is all backed up by Google and it will download it all for you when you sign in on the new phone?

That doesn't do text messages, just contacts and he hadn't backed them up through google contacts

I use Airdroid and Lookout. You can always open up My Computer and then the phone to drag all the files onto your desktop.

I did notice the other day that Kies was removed from my S3 when it upgraded itself to 4.3. Samsung given up on it too?

He didn't have Lookout on his phone, I have but this is no use to him, plus I think only the paid version does the SMS backup? My computer is only good for doing the media files as well. Airdroid has been mentioned a couple of times now so I will have a look at that tomorrow morning

Assuming you have it set up correctly, contacts wil sync through the google account. Check online first at gmail.com, then when you sign into the google account on the new phone they will sync down. I'm not sure if you can easily transfer SMS messages as you wish, but helium backup would be a good place to start.

Kies is clunky to say the least. I've found that it needs a disproportionately large amount of CPU power and RAM to run smoothly.

Again, see above, Google won't back up the SMS and the SIM is now out of function as EE have transferred to his new SIM

I did a Kies backup before resetting my phone after an update but when it came to restoring the backup it kept failing. Fortunately I was just trying it as an exercise, because I'd heard how hopeless it was, and I'd backed up everything important through reliable means too.

All well and good in hindsight, but we were really weren't to know that Kies would fail so miserably and his phone has now swtiched over. I have Kies on my other laptop and transferred my phone from the S2 to the S3 and then S3 to the S4 without an issue so didn't think it would fail on this laptop and phone

Kies is a PITA. It worked for me but I needed to run in it in Admin mode. Note that you will need the correct version of Kies depending on your phone.
Why not drop by your local phone store and ask if they will do it for you, they may have other software to do data transfers between phones.

We have the correct version of Kies corresponding with his make and model of phone. I will have another go in Admin mode and if that fails. I will tell him to try and go to the EE store then

Back