San Francisco and Alcatraz 18 pictures - 56k ??

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted a few SF pictures whilst I was there using the laptop. Seems a long time ago now as the different destinations have made it seem like 5 holidays in one and SF was first .

SF is an interesting place. Having driven to the hotel which was near the waterfront I felt a bit intimidated as to exploring the city in the car. Parking was restricticted and whilst I've driven in USA before all the extra confusion with cable cars, trams, trolley buses etc and general bustle put me off driving. Fortunately there is plenty of this public transport and it proved an interesting and easy way of getting around.

Weather there is a real contrast with the rest of CA. Frequently dull and cloudy it can be windy and quite cold too. There are almost no buildings with air conditioners as they don't need them. 20 miles inland and you are back to clear skies and 90deg+

So some pictures.....

The famous sea lion colony in the bay
SF01.jpg

Typical street - yes I know its wonky...I seem to have a wonky issue this trip!
SF02.jpg

Couldn't get the pretzel stall in the shot with them
SF03.jpg

I was doing the husband waiting outside the clothes shop thing for a while - never saw him get any money for his trumpet playing.
SF04.jpg

Well err they are boats/ships
SF05.jpg

View of some of the bay. Maritime museum (closed for refurb) on the shore and chocolate factory behind
SF06.jpg

The Golden Gate bridge and a lot of clouds
SF07.jpg

Restaurant we never went in but I did eat a lot of garlic!
SF08.jpg

We went on an evening visit to Alcatraz island as they are supposed to be the best. It was a cold evening with a constant wind but the boat seemed full. We had booked online from the UK. Didn't expect too much but it proved one of the highlights of SF - in a depressing kind of way.

Guard tower from the road up to the prison
SF09.jpg

Inside the cell block with just a few other people. The audio guided tour was actually very good.
SF10.jpg

more pictures.....

The cells were so small
SF11.jpg

The dining room
SF12.jpg

Solid walled solitary cells at the bottom
SF13.jpg

Similar to the first shot of the cells but the guys faces convey the way I felt when I looked in and thought about it.
SF14.jpg

Looking back at SF. I have the complete panorama to stitch together if I get round to it. It was blowing a gale by then and I could only hold the camera on a round handrail to steady it.
SF15.jpg

Liked the modified flag.
SF16.jpg

We were told something about the Indian graffiti being relevant to the prison being opened to the public but I wasn't really listening.
SF17.jpg

People looked a bit cold coming back on the boat.
SF18.jpg

Lots of very high iso's in Alcatraz so I'm quite pleased with how they came out. Now to sort out some Yosemite picture to cheer me up again :)

Wonderful set of pictures - enjoyed browsing through and your comments.

Back