B&W Scops Owl

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Playing in Photoshop
Question
In lightroom after you brush in say an adjustment you cab hover your curser over the control point to see where you have made a brush stroke (shows up in red)............how can you see where you have brushed in Photoshop when say adding sharpness or removing noise with define too
lView attachment 6172

If you press ALT and left click on the layer mask, your image will turn to black and white the same as the mask thumbnail and clearly show where you have brushed over. Do the same again to return to a normal display.

Last edited:
OK Neil, lets go through the procedure, but I will be saying things that you already know. Open you image, then click ctrl & J together to open a copy layer. Apply your sharpening/NR to the copy layer. Click on the 'Add layer mask' at the bottom of the panel, the oblong white box with a black circle in the middle. You will now have a new square box on the copy layer. Click on the mask box, then select the brush tool. Make sure your foreground colour is black (to remove a part of the copy layer, or white to put items back in). Brush over the image where you want to remove items/processes. Yu will see on the small mask box in the copy layer some black areas appearing that correspond with the area you have brushed out.
To see these better, hold 'alt' and left click on the small thumbnail mask, the whole image will then become the same as the thumbnail and you can see where you have brushed over.
I'm assuming that you are adding say, sharpness to an image then brushing out the areas you don't want sharpened, or the same for NR
I am sorry if I have repeated things you are already doing, but it seemed a good idea to cover everything to make sure you can reach the stage where you can see what you want.

Hi Trev
I am in CS6 but using the filter Define (nik software) When I brush I can see it working on removing the noise but I wondered if when in this layer I can right click or do something to see exactly where I have brushed like what I can see in lightroom...see attached
View attachment 6176

I can see what your looking for Neil but I don't use Nik software and to be honest, I know nothing about using it. I use Neat Image for NR and use it in the way I described, if you can achieve what your looking for I don't know, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and help. Sorry I cant add any more for you.

No probs Trev....... I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me. I will defiantly use you advice when just in PS

Back