Scrabble

Edit My Images
Yes
Playing about the other day, wondered what you guys thought?!

scrabble.jpg

I like the idea. Aperture, the shallowish DOF, because of the aperture :D I like it (partly because I get it ..lol)....

But you spelt aperture wrong....or was that deliberate? :)

It was deliberate, wanted to see if people would spot it, aperture is all about seeing, and how you see just a little test! Well noticed!

The background loses the whole impact of this for me I'm afraid..... :(

You don't have to know much about photography to realise aperture is spelt wrong. Photography is about seeing, but i see no point in making such an obvious misspelling, all's it does it detract. It's hardly subtle i'm afraid

Well, I must say that if that was the whole point of the exercise then it was lost on me! I was THAT distracted by the background I didn't even notice that the word was spelt incorrectly. And I'm the world's most critical critic! Ask Marianne! My pedantry drives her nuts..... :LOL:

Okay guys, I realise the background wasn't ideal, it was something i was messing with and just wanted to know other people's opinions. Maybe I'll go for the re-shoot and not spell it wrongly with a better background.

I thought the idea of this was to encorage us to show our pics! you lot just seem to be a bit off here!
Surely Photography is a very individual thing isnt it?
I think its a great idea. I like the shot and I must admit I didn't initially notice the spelling!

Yes, but what is to be learnt from being patronised, if you share anything you have to accept that others might not share your vision. It shouldn't be taken personally

It's an ok idea, just not well executed

It's a good idea, I think if you shot it from a higher angle so that the only background is the board it may work better. :)

I agree that noone wants to be patronised and that everyone sees things differently so what appeal to one person maybe someone else will hate. It wasn't my shot, I just thought the comments a bit harsh. Again, just an oppinion.

I don't want to be patronised I wanted to share an idea I had, it may not be to everyone's liking but I wanted opinions, I have to agree with castaway I thought some of the comments were a little too much. I like comments and thoughts as much as the next guy.

Honestly i can't see how the comment were a little too much, they were simply honest & not rude in anyway, the points raised were valid.

You spoke of a test, post that image on Fred Miranda and the idea about the test, and honestly you'll soon see that what we said was by no means a little too much

As a test shot it shows a good clean focus along the path of letters. It also shows the depth of field (at f2.2 according to the exif) so it is good for the purpose of demonstrating depth of field from an aperture.

You get so used to spelling mistakes and typos on forum posts that you stop noticing them - indeed it is almost 'bad form' to point them out. I don't think a deliberate misspelling has any point in this situation.

As to comments i think what has been said was fair and restrained. Put forward as anything more than a test/demonstration it does not stand up as is... but it could with some work.

Anyway, using the additional "P" gives you an extra 3 points :LOL:

Is it possible there is a 'triple word' score too? ...... I'll get me 'at....

its a double word score across the middle Barry...

Trinity its an ace idea, reshoot from the higher angle as suggested, and get some moody lighting on it!

dont take any comments you think are harsh to heart, we all mean well here, and sometimes being told as people see it is far more important than lots of people just agreeing with you, you dont learn anything that way

I thought the idea of this was to encorage us to show our pics! you lot just seem to be a bit off here!

Constructive criticism is the way that we learn & grow as photographers & the freedom of opinion here is excellent, there are a great many "pro" photogs here that are happy to help people along & give them the benefit of their experience, along with amateurs & newbies that also provide highly valued opinions - if how others see your images is not important to you, just say so at the beginning of your post & it will be respected.
I think that I would agree with matty (about the triple word score LoL) I would rather be left comments like these & have the freedom to leave comments like this in turn if I feel they are justified. The alternative is people not being honest about your images & how potential clients may see them & may result in the loss of a future job.
This is far & away the friendliest forum on the internet where an often harsh & unpredictable subject is tackled in a friendly & helpful manner (its those extra friendly moderators with clubs :LOL: ).
Working with opinions & whether or not you take advice is completely your call & as was mentioned by castaway, everyone likes different things, but people here work to keep this a friendly forum & as Sean said, replies from any other forums would definately seem harsh compared to what you hear here.
(Sorry about the essay guys) looking forward to seeing more pics Trinity. (y)

Thanks people for the mixed and varied comments.

I have taken on board what has been said and I would like to play with the idea a little more, get the front edge of the a in focus, drop the background, get some height and light on it and well.... spell it correctly.

I will re-post once I have taken again.

See if you can use a 'z' or a 'q' even possibly an 'x' - you get much better scores.

Seriously though don't be put off. Sometimes, I know this is true of me, people type what first comes to mind. It may appear blunt and unthinking, but that's the touble with the 'net - you can't see people's expressions and it's so easy to pick up on the wrong train of thought.

Keep shooting....

Baz.

That last comment from Barry is so true about the internet and thats how flame wars start.

I think its a great idea and veryt hought provoking. Now go and do your thought some justice and nail that shot.

Barry. You're so right.

I think the best way to convey good intention is to add a few smileys to their post. I've known of people in the past who don't use them at all, and have often come across as brash and rude, when they were only light hearted friendly comments.

We've got a load of smileys on here, ones that we think will pertain to the most common of emotions and feelings that people will want to convey.

Have a look here :)

Back