SE1 with a Zeiss 85mm

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
I found a couple of late 80s manual focus Zeiss primes in C/Y mount last week for a bargain price, which will work nicely with a Yashica FX-3 film body I have.

One of them is Sonnar T* 85mm f/2.8, which will go on my Canon 5D without the mirror striking the rear of the lens, so naturally I bought myself a cheap C/Y to EOS adapter to check it out.

These were supposed to be some test shots, so it's a bit of a random assortment of different focal distances and apertures, but the lens has blown me away with its sharpness and rendering of a scene.

Puddle
by cybertect, on Flickr

Lunchtime Light
by cybertect, on Flickr

20 Fenchurch Street
by cybertect, on Flickr

Autumn II
by cybertect, on Flickr

Tableware
by cybertect, on Flickr

Tableware II
by cybertect, on Flickr

One of my fave areas to shoot around, impressive lens!

I like #1 - I think post-processing like that normally looks overcooked, but it works for that shot, and the shadow and sunlight in #2 is good - and would probably only have worked in B&W, so good call on that.

#3 and #4 feel very meh to me - especially 4.

Thanks.

I have to say that about the only thing I did to #1 was to straighten it up and apply a gentle 'S' curve to the tone. Everything else was there already.

puddle_noPP.jpg

Very strong set, classic lenses delivering some great subjects, I like them all

Even better for spotting it then!

I don't know if you get this, but with some lenses (usually primes) they help you see better because you're observing everything around you carefully, thinking about how things will appear through the lens before you even get the camera to your eye.

I went out with it again today, and that same thing happened as the first time I used it.

I don't know if you get this, but with some lenses (usually primes) they help you see better because you're observing everything around you carefully, thinking about how things will appear through the lens before you even get the camera to your eye.

I absolutely get that - tends to only work with the normal/long lenses for me though.

Back