Sea Vixen, Typhoons, P3 and Hawks - possibly the last 4 Sqn Det to RAF Leuchars

Edit My Images
Yes
We achieved a lot at RAF Leuchars last week - lots of flying and not a lot of time for photography. Leuchars gave us excellent access to OTA E for low level work and some easily accessible medium level airspace for 2v1 air combat. We graduated 2 of our students here this week too!

1. Arriving at Leuchars:
Leuchars Det 12 - 15 Aug 14 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

2. Finals for runway 26.(It's not a shallow approach, but would be in a Typhoon, hence the PAPIs)

3. I was really please to find that we were sharing a hanger with this fantastic aircraft.

4. The pilots cockpit. Things have certainly changed in aircrew ergonomics!

5. The Observer/Navigator Station is not a place for the claustrophobic.

6. Crewing out after a Low Level Evasion sortie.

7. Startup.

8. Airborne with two of our aircraft in the background.

9. Returning to RAF Leuchars after a busy Evasion Sortie.

10. An unexpected visitor was this German Navy P3.

11. Leuchars gave our students a great opportunity to speak to FL pilots about life on a fighter Sqn.

12. The locals.

13. Leuchars Det 12 - 15 Aug 14 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

14. A happy Hawk face generated during radar to visual combat on the way back to Valley.

15. Hawk and Windfarms.

16. Playing with backlighting.

17. A couple of seconds earlier.

18. Breaking back into the circuit at RAF Valley.

A great visual journey. Really felt part of it in a way. And to top it all the photos are really something else, brilliant.

Nice set as usual and many thanks for sharing...........................I know it has said before but you are one those folks that "has one of the best jobs in the world" :)

As for the Sea Vixen I enjoyed seeing one fly at Yeovilton Airday in July 2009...............captured some lovely vapour off of her wings. Why oh why if they managed to keep her why we no longer have a Harrier in the 'preserved' airworthy state.

@Cheesy just purely out of interest, do you have to get permission to post some of these photos or do they let you but as long as you're sensible sort of thing. Hope you don't mind me asking, just curious.

@Cheesy just purely out of interest, do you have to get permission to post some of these photos or do they let you but as long as you're sensible sort of thing. Hope you don't mind me asking, just curious.

in order to get a photography permit at Leuchars I has to agree to submit my camera to security as I left the Station each day. Together we'd run through the photos I'd taken and, if required, I'd delete any that I was asked to.
This wasn't an onerous task as I have a good understanding of what not to point a camera at. Over the course of the det I wasn't asked to delete more than 5 images.
Hope this helps!

Great set. Must be a nice privilege to enjoy photography and flying!

in order to get a photography permit at Leuchars I has to agree to submit my camera to security as I left the Station each day. Together we'd run through the photos I'd taken and, if required, I'd delete any that I was asked to.
This wasn't an onerous task as I have a good understanding of what not to point a camera at. Over the course of the det I wasn't asked to delete more than 5 images.
Hope this helps!

Ahh I see. I was just wondering. Hope you didn't mind me asking. (y)

Back