Seagulls in flight on Canon 7D Mark II....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Seeing as the Canon 7D Mark II is a new model designed specifically for wildlife and sports action and everyone is wanting to see what results it can deliver....

But please bear in my mind that my efforts don't necessarily demonstrate the best it can do. I am finding it more reliable for getting birds-in-flight in focus but its highly customisable autofocus system and customisation means that there's a lot to learn. Anyway, I have been practicing on the local seagulls and I feel that the 7D2 captures very good tonal range.

Seagull_0291vns by RedRobin_05, on Flickr

^ #1 - EXIF data etc on Flickr.

Seagull_0618vns by RedRobin_05, on Flickr

^ #2 - EXIF data etc on Flickr.

Seagull_0596vns by RedRobin_05, on Flickr

^ #3 - EXIF date etc on Flickr.

Looks like you are grasping it ?

....I'm getting to that point where it's beginning to feel a very tactile tool but I have a long way to go before I reach your standard, Kevin! (I have been looking at your Flickr stream).

I think the 7D Mark II is offering me a camera to grow my potential - I didn't feel limited by my 70D but the 7D2 seems to be more enabling and I am confident I made the right choice to steam ahead and buy one. Clever folks, those Canon guys.

:canon:

some lovely light coming off the head in the first

....I thought so too - Light is what it's all about.

The tail is a bit strange though - I thought it may be motion blur but the shutter speed was 1/6400 sec.

Robin

You will get hooked and never be satisfied - always fighting light and shadow, sharpness, backgrounds and PP ………………..there is no end to it

I don't think that I am happy with any bird shot that I have taken and I have a hard disk full of them ……. I can always see errors

oh to be a Landscape or one of these "artistic" photographers …… I plan to "cut my ear off" next year if I don't improve!!

Last edited:
I Hope Adobe are not long catching up with the 7d2 Robin

....Word on the street says by the end of this month. As Apple updated their RAW compatibility for the 7D2 last weekend and hence Aperture 3.6, I would expect Adobe to not want to be left far behind with Lightroom but they haven't even updated their converter yet afaik.

I find that the difference between JPEG and RAW on the 7D2 is like cake and cheese.

Robin

You will get hooked and never be satisfied - always fighting light and shadow, sharpness, backgrounds and PP ………………..there is no end to it

I don't think that I am happy with any bird shot that I have taken and I have a hard disk full of them ……. I can always see errors

oh to be a Landscape or one of these "artistic" photographers …… I plan to "cut my ear off" next year if I don't improve!!

....95% of my 'keepers' are images which I feel satisfied with. However, I do continually strive to capture even better images but I never beat myself up over it. The mission to continually evolve and enjoy is part of the pleasure of photography for me.

The exif shows very high shutter speeds (between 1/6400 and 1/8000) - would it be worth dialing this back a little and improving the ISO?

Just a thought :)

....That's a good thought, Dave - I have been intentionally going for fast shutter speeds to freeze fast movement and also high ISO values to test their appearance on this new camera. Having now seen these results I agree that I can start to look at dialling back a bit.

Back