Seaton Harbour Entrance

Edit My Images
Yes
Out for a walk this afternoon and as we walked past this spot I noticed the way the cloud formation seemed to fit nicely in with the scene below. I've PP it by doing a polarising job on the sky and cropped it slightly as at 17mm I noticed a bit of vignetting from the lens hood of the 17 - 85 IS USM.

iso 100, f13, 1/250 sec, 17mm
Seaton_Habour_Entrance.jpg

As always your thoughts on the composition would be welcome :)

I think I'd be tempted to crop the grassy area off the bottom. That would give you 1/3-2/3 layout and let the harbour lead you into the picture.

good shot... i was walking my dogs on that beach this afternoon... small world.

Isn't it just. It was an absolutely gorgeous afternoon, a nice stroll around, a few nice shots and a cuppa in the tea room :D :D

Cropped shot. Yes I like this, your sort of bang, straight into the scene :)

Seaton_Habour_Entrance_-_crop.jpg

Cropped is much better. I agree it takes you right into the shot. Not such a nice day there today though!

That's a huge improvement I think, cracking shot :)

Steep:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm really pleased with the way the shots turned out :)

BobR:
Well the suns shinning here, sort of:|
With any luck I'll make it down to Tynemouth Priory car park later on, the Red Arrows will be doing their thing over South Shields so I should get some nice shots from the Priory.

That a life preserver, so when you fall in onto the mud, someone can chuck it at you and knock you out. That way you wont feel any pain from the fall :nuts:

crop shot is very good, might be tempted to have a little go at tonemapping to get some more drama into the sky

Now you've done it, whats tone mapping and how does I do it :thinking:

I've already done a polarising mask job on the sky, but as I've got the original tiff saved as layers, backtracking wont be a problem :)

Now you've done it, whats tone mapping and how does I do it :thinking:

I've already done a polarising mask job on the sky, but as I've got the original tiff saved as layers, backtracking wont be a problem :)

Tone mapping is a necessary part of the HDR process. Once you've generated your HDR image then tone mapping is used to bring out the best range of tones from each image you've used. It's not nearly so complicated as it sounds - if you use Photomatix it's a case of adjusting a few sliders - it's not rocket science. :)

I don't think you can improve on that sky much tbh, but I did a quick fudge job using 3 images about 1 stop apart.

Generated_HDR_-_Tone_mapped3.jpg

In this case I think I prefer your original. ;)

Ahh see what you mean. Yes in this case the sky has that sort of 3D look to it but the colour in the harbor looks a bit washed out. Still its an interesting effect :)

Sorry gonna kick up a storm, I liked the image just the way it was with the grass in the fore ground and with the HDR treatment. I think the grass leads you in to the shot and gives it some depth. With out the grass its a bit thin and to be honest I don't really like it. I think that bit of grass makes it a top class image.

I don't think the HDR works on it. The clouds are too grey and its overly dramatic for a sunny afternoon.

BobR:
Well the suns shinning here, sort of:|
With any luck I'll make it down to Tynemouth Priory car park later on, the Red Arrows will be doing their thing over South Shields so I should get some nice shots from the Priory.[/QUOTE]

Just read this ... sorry! like I said before was up a ladder when they came over!

BobR:
Hay mate you be careful there, I think the paint fumes up the ladder might be getting to you :help:

To every one else: My thanks for all your suggestions and debate. At least it proves I can now produce an image worthy of such debate and thats all down to the support gained through this group :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back